What careers allow me to help society peacefully?

I am a 20 year old architectural engineering student (year 2) and I have to start college over and I want to choose a different career as I thought that architecture isn't doing enough serving people and the society for me, I thought of being a police officer/detective but then I realized that it isn't me I'm a pacifist that's number one , number two seeing dramatic events on TV makes me sick what about seeing it for real and number three it's that I have problems with bravery and courage, so I was asking about a career which:
1) helps the society and the people.
2) is somewhat peaceful.
3)I don't have to get more than an associate's or bachelors degree to get( I though of law and medicine but I'm too afraid of blood and I can't stay in college for 8 years or more to get a job as I'm 20 now).
4) is exciting but peaceful and happy but not too "forget all of your problems" and get to work type of job this type of jobs include (architecture-interior design-fashion design-art...).
5) isn't boring like accounting for example.

Please if you have an answer give it and don't make fun of the question, If there's any career which you think applies to the upper qualities I would love to know about, thanks a lot for your time and sorry for the long question. #career #career-choice #help

7

Gary’s Answer

If you want to find a career that helps people and society, I'd suggest the following:

1) Start by volunteering in your local community.
2) If you liked that, then volunteer abroad.

3) Make a list of companies / organizations that you believe help people and society in a way that you're exited about.

4) Go to their websites and look at their careers section for jobs that you might want to someday do.

5) Read the job requirements to get an idea of what degree you need or whether you need a degree. If you're really serious about preparing yourself, try contacting them to let them know that you would like to be qualified for their job after you finish your education and you would be interested in getting some advice from them on what the perfect candidate looks like.

6) If you really like the company, try to get an internship there.

If you do the above, I'm guessing that you would be able to make some pretty significant progress one month from now.

One tricky part might be step 3. A couple of principles to keep in mind: Do not limit yourself to companies that you think you qualify for. Cast a wide net. If you think that médecins sans frontières is an awesome organization but you're not a doctor, you can still work in a support role helping them make their work happen. Use the internet, Facebook, YouTube, or the TV to find out about organizations you might want to join. You could also find some magazines about the social issues you care about and see who is featured in the magazines.

Most importantly, have fun with it! Be focused! Follow a structure!

Nursing is short you must have all the pre programs you need that is a short program and good pay rewarding and you are helping others 20 is very young you can go to school at any age for as long as you like. You are not old. I did a change at 53. Holly Z.

2

David H.’s Answer

<html><head></head><body>

With your architecture engineering background, you could work in lots of "green" ecology organizations, some that recycle used building-construction materials and create rooftop gardens, such as Build It Green (www.bignyc.org). There are many organizations across the country doing this sort of work. Also, look at www.guidestar.org for access to thousands of not for profit organizations across the country that are doing good work in many fields.

</body></html>

2

Rebecca’s Answer

You might think about planning and public policy (sometimes called Urban Studies) or landscape architecture--to learn about creating some really peaceful public spaces, or public health (you need some bio for this). There is also environmental science--we need more people who can work in this area--and you don't really have to have an advanced degree. An agricultural college (many big public state universities were once land grant colleges, so they probably still have agriculture/environmental studies, landscape architecture, etc. would allow you to learn all about plants and think about public spaces. Public policy would let you think about the kind of policies and policy change that would be helpful in a variety of areas-- and public health is also geared toward helping people by looking at the ways healthcare policy is tied to social systems and built-in inequities. For social work, you need a Master's--people can major in it but there's no real work if you don't have a master's degree, except fairly low paying jobs in social services agencies. Some history programs have a public history option--where you can give tours or work in historical spaces to educate the public. These all require four-year degrees, but it might be worth it, and you would probably get some credits from your prior studies. Finally, if you are making a life change, go for the thing that makes you happy--good will come from that, no matter what you choose. You would decide what kind of agency or company you want to work for. And you can always do work on your own to help your community. Also look at jobs or internships or volunteer work at non-profits (try idealist.org).

Rebecca recommends the following next steps:

Research university majors by looking at their websites.
Figure out what appeals to you the most.
Research schools; what is available near you.
Look at career services websites. They sometimes list "what can I do with this major."
Make some choices and apply to programs!

0

christine’s Answer

I think a career in Social Work may meet your needs. Social Workers help people in all different ways- adoption, counseling-mental health, medical social work , child protection, working with senior citizens, etc. If you get your bachelors degree and work in a social work agency you will find that many employers will pay for your tuition for a Masters degree which is a 2 year degree. With a Masters degree in Social Work there are many ways to help others and your pay will increase as you gain experience. It is very emotionally rewarding type of work and you will feel that you make a difference by helping others. I got my masters degree in Social work when I was age 34. There is plenty of time for graduate school if you want to check it out later in life. Wish you the best!

0

Estelle’s Answer

I know that you said that medicine was not a consideration due to your timeline, but there are many fields in healthcare that don't require 8 + years of training. Becoming a PA, nurse, radiology tech, or lab technologist can be a peaceful, fulfilling and lucrative career.

0

Gary’s Answer

Why do you need to start college all over again? That can be incredibly expensive. If you're only in your second year of school, you can just switch programs and you should be fine. I switched my major 4 times in college. Beware of starting college all over again -- it could tip off employers that you're unreliable!

0

Leahanne’s Answer

Your question is the precise reason I use more than one assessment to help people decide what direction to go with their careers. I think implicit in your question are actually 2 questions - what skills do I like using and what's my internal motivation. My guess is your internal motivation is you seek peace and you look for that in the universe ( as luck would have it - so do I!).

Believe it or not, there are many peaceful professions, (law is not one of them, btw) but then you have to align your skills in order to find your right match. For instance, I am in coaching and counseling but that's because I prefer to work with ideas and people. So, determine the skills you must like to use for 8 hours a day and then determine which peaceful professions align with your skills, it could be gardening, ministry, dog training.

Another word of caution - accounting is not boring to accountants. It's only boring to you because it doesn't align with your skills and strengths. So, first order of business - find your skills and strengths.

Leahanne recommends the following next steps:

lock in on your skills and talents
correlate to the "peaceful professions"

0

christine’s Answer

0