How do I find "my career"?

How do I find what I want to do for a living? What I want to do. #undecided #career-choice #career-counseling

8

Melisa’s Answer

Hello Maddie,

Great question and I know you are not alone in asking this. As Jesse suggests, your options might change in your life and it helps to keep an open mind. However, you'll likely be happier when your career is also something you love doing. It may take some time to find your "dream job" but often, trying out different types of careers and opportunities you come across can help you decide what you do and don't like. 

Here’s a link to an older article, but I've always liked the concept of asking these key questions. Think about three simple questions to ask yourself to find your own Career Sweet Spot. 1. What brings you joy? 2. What are you great at? 3. What will people pay you, enough, to do? http://developmentcrossroads.com/2012/08/3-questions-to-find-your-career-sweet-spot/

You don’t have to necessarily decide right now what you want to do for the rest of your life, but you can start with questions like these and doing more research on careers have interest in learning more about.

Best wishes for success in your education and career goals.

#career-choice #career-counseling

Melisa recommends the following next steps:

Seek out a mentor or individual in a career that interests you and learn more about their job, what they like, dislike about it and consider setting up time for a job shadow session.
Saved!
Here’s another approach to Finding the work you were meant to do. https://blog.ed.ted.com/2016/05/10/7-ideas-about-finding-the-work-you-were-meant-to-do/
Saved!
Check out resources like glassdoor.com and search different careers that interest you, by geography, or city and state.
Saved!

2

Biswadeep Saha’s Answer

--Make a list of your Hobbies , interests, personal strengths and aptitudes
--Check out within your near/dear ones and try to identify ones who are pretty sucessful in their careers . Talk to them and get all the information about what they do how they achive this and how interesting it is.
--Find if any of your listed hobbies are aligned to the careers arround you .
--Get a Mentor & get some professional counseling
--Remember its important to choose a career which you have interest otherwise it might be a burden to sustain it.

Wish you good luck in choosing right one.

0

Simeon’s Answer

The starting point I usually recommend is going to the department of labor's website and seeing what the fastest growing fields are. That will give you a starting point if you're drawing a blank about what you'd like to do. I'd also recommend looking at YouTube videos where employees discuss their favorite and least favorite parts of their jobs. One of the downsides to a lot of career decision materials is that they don't usually tell you the downsides of different careers, so it might help you narrow down the options you're considering.

0

Shamima’s Answer

Hey! Honestly there is no perfect answer to this and everyone's process will look different. I would say the most important thing though is make a list of the things that are important to you and that you like, things that you absolutely don't like and that everyday would not bring you joy, and then a list of non negotiables. The things that if this was part of your day you'd never be happy with. I also think it's ok not to make the right choice now. Statistically adults will have 6 careers in their life and that's just reality. What you like nw you may not like late and that's ok. I'm 28 and on career 3 so jump in, go fairly broad with tools that are transferable and you can't go wrong!

0

jesse’s Answer

What interest do you have or what do you like to do? Take some stuff ou do in your personal life and think to yourself, “ can i do this fo the next 30 - 40 years?” Your options will change with how life leads you and where your path wants to go but if you make a chart of al the things you think you would like to be you can narrow stuff down and check into future advancement and fields for what ever you desires are. Stay positive and keep an open mind.

0

Bettye’s Answer

There are a number of career interest inventories that you can take at the local community college to help identify and measure your areas of interest, personal strengths and aptitudes. Many colleges/universities offer the same and have career counselors to help interpret the data for you, in most cases free of charge. This should be done before to choosing a major with the college academic advisor.

Bettye recommends the following next steps:

Call college career or counseling center.
Saved!
Ask what resources they have for career exploration and make appointment to meet with career counselor.
Saved!
Take the interest inventories allotting approximately 2-3 hours for completion.
Saved!
Make appointment with academic advisor of the college to discuss certificate or degree program based on inventory results and your strong interests.
Saved!

0