How does one decide upon an interest?

7

When it comes to careers, I generally want to choose a career that interests me. However, I haven't been able to narrow my interests down to a point where I can choose a career path that interests me. Some of my interests include: Biology, Technology, Music, Programming, Psychology, Philosophy, and many others. As you can see, my interests lie scattered across many different fields, which makes it difficult for me to decide upon my career. Any tips as to how I can find my direction? #career-counseling #career-choice #personal-development #undecided

7

Alyssa’s Answer

2

I'd recommend taking a interest inventory assessment and a skills inventory assessment. If you are still in high school talk to your school counselor and ask them if they have any assessments that they recommend. My state offers an awesome tool called the career explorer to all of the students in our state. So, your state might have something similar that would be really helpful for you.

If not, this is one of the best assessments I have been able to find online so far. Some of them out there can get a big boring and I find this one to be more interesting. It's a way of learning a little more about yourself. So, try to answer them as honestly as possible when you answer. Answer how you view yourself. Don't answer what somebody else might want you to be interested in. https://apps.madisoncollege.edu/career-assess/

After you take assessments check out the career clusters more and figure out what is going to be the best fit for you https://careertech.org/career-clusters

Once you have a good idea of what career cluster fits you best explore that further. Here is one website that has a lot of information. https://www.mynextmove.org/find/browse?c=62

It's important to keep in mind the outlook of a field when you're considering a career. I'd caution you when considering fields that are in a major decline. You can do anything you want...you just have to be willing to work harder than anybody else. Mind you for some of us their are limitations so it is important to consider that. No matter how hard I train and work I am never going to beat Michael Phelps in a swimming competition or Michael Jordan at a slum dunk contest. I can however be the best me possible me. Think about your skills and use them to your advantage when picking a field. I wish you the best in figure out what is the best fit for you!

2

Venkat’s Answer

1

I see your list of interests - a good combination for a nice life - depends how you distribute your effort moving forward
for now, pick two that are most interesting to you; to the best assess your strengths - try to get a strong base on one of those. when ever you find time keep in touch with the remaining interests.
Moving forward, everyone need to aware of a little bit of programming and some awareness about (how factor of) technology. There's big need of technology advancements to speed up work in life sciences!

1

Chi’s Answer

1

Try to figure out what want you life to be in 5 years. Having a plan can help you decide your career choice.
Jordan Peterson has a program called "Self-Authoring". It is a series of questions that guides you to define what you are and what you might want. Give it a try.

1

0

You have been given some great advice to help you find your best match to your interests. Another suggestion may be to look at your natural strengths. And then branch out with interests from there. StrengthsFinder is a nice tool for that. It can be found online or in hardcopy. Www.gallupstrengthscenter.com

Kim recommends the following next steps:

• Take the StrengthsFinder assessment
  • Use the report to find where your strengths align with your interests.
  • Set a plan for further research on how to pursue your interests using your natural strengths.
I have been though the same situation. But what I want to say is to know your interest, you got to try some thing that excites you at least. You may fail in once or twice but you will gain knowledge and that knowledge will give you experience too. You will be able to judge the things properly. Just try and analyze things to determine what is interesting to you and you will surely find it out. Good luck! Bernice D.
0

Alexandria’s Answer

0

Find what sparks joy in you :) Give different things a try! You'd be surprised how different jobs/fields can help you narrow down what you do an don't like.

0