What does your typical day looks like as registered nurse?

3
3

Jessica’s Answer

2
For hospital base nurses I agree with Katherine, but I like to remind students there a many types or nursing, so if hospital nursing or "floor nursing" isn't for you look at other types.
Myself I have worked on a telemetry floor ( for cardiac patients), in the emergency room, on an ambulance as a critical care transport nurse, in a procedure unit ( cardiac catheterization lab) and then I decided to go back to school and become a nurse Practitioner.

I have friends who have also worked in doctors offices, school nursing, telephone nursing, and employee health nursing, travel nurses, and even working with industry partners in research and development. Most nursing schools train you in a hospital because that is where you get exposure to the most procedures and medicines, but it may not be the right fit for you or you lifestyle, so dont give up on nursing just look around.

Jessica recommends the following next steps:

• Nusing has many career options
2

Kathleen’s Answer

1

Every day is different, but usually on my hospital floor, after getting report, I check to see if any of my patients are scheduled to go anywhere, like xray or physical therapy. First check each patient, and update their boards so they are informed of the day's events. Start your assessments on the patients (this may have to be finished later for various reasons). Medications are passed starting at 10am usually. Wound care, feedings, or procedures are fit in as best you can during the day. Interruptions happen, someone in pain,

another with shortness of breath, family members to speak to.....just prioritize and work with your team.

1