What does a software engineer do on a day to day basis?

I want to be a software engineer. #engineer #software #software-engineering

Eric’s Answer

It varies hugely, depending on the industry (a game developer might have very different responsibilities from someone who works at an ISP like Comcast or Verizon, for example), and depending on the team of people they are working with.

For me, on any given day I'm usually in the middle of improving an existing piece of software. Most of my projects take multiple days to weeks to complete. Today, I am just finishing up making a small change that a customer who uses the program I work on asked for. I am also adding a new ability to a program that I wrote over the past year. Finally, I am working with another software engineer to make a plan for how we're going to clean up a very messy piece of code over the next week or so. This last one means writing a document describing "Here's what we hope to accomplish, here's how we think we're going to approach it, and here's what might go wrong." It isn't writing code, but it's still an important part of the process.

Daniela’s Answer

Hi Muhit,

Tasks and Duties

• Modify existing software to correct errors, to adapt it to new hardware or to upgrade interfaces and improve performance.
  • Design and develop software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
  • Consult with engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, develop specifications and performance requirements and resolve customer problems.
  • Analyze information to determine, recommend and plan installation of a new system or modification of an existing system.
  • Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures.
  • Direct software programming and development of documentation.
  • Consult with customers and/or other departments on project status, proposals and technical issues such as software system design and maintenance.
  • Advise customer about, or perform, maintenance of software system.
  • Coordinate installation of software system.
  • Monitor functioning of equipment to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications.
  • Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
  • Confer with data processing and project managers to obtain information on limitations and capabilities for data processing projects.
  • Prepare reports and correspondence concerning project specifications, activities and status.
  • Evaluate factors such as reporting formats required, cost constraints, and need for security restrictions to determine hardware configuration.
  • Supervise and assign work to programmers, designers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
  • Train users to use new or modified equipment.
  • Utilize microcontrollers to develop control signals, implement control algorithms and measure process variables such as temperatures, pressures and positions.
  • Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in area of system installation.
  • Specify power supply requirements and configuration.

http://www.oceancareers.com/2.0/career_tasks.php?career_id=70

Have a great career!