Do Most Software Engineers enjoy their job?

22

Jim’s Answer

I would go so far as to say the majority do.

First and foremost, software engineers are paid fairly well and there is a decent level of job security as the demand for their services exceeds the supply of talent. Developers who tend to advance their careers quickly, are good at translating and communicating technical concepts in business terms. However, some prefer to just write code and not get too involved with non technologists. They equally can have a very rewarding career. In a sense, your personality and what you enjoy can work in a number of ways.

This profession tends to attract intelligent people who like to solve problems, fix things or otherwise make something work better. There is a level of creativity that good developers have. It does require constant learning as coding languages change, platforms differ, etc., so having a level of interest and passion in what you do is helpful.

And, as previously mentioned, where you work, the people you work with and what you work on is important. There is good work mobility in this area so a less than optimal situation can be fixed pretty easily.

I started my career as software engineer and I found it very interesting. Basically you need to spend time to find solutions and build application. The moment you are not doing what is asked and finding solution for larger impact it gets intersting GANGA SIVARAMASUBRAMANIAN

6

Angel’s Answer

For my perspective. the job satisfaction of being a Software Engineer comes to a few factors:

1) The project you're working on
Is the project interesting to **you**? Is it relevant to the company or their customers? Is the world a better place because of your project?

2) The role that you have in the project
Do you have the opportunity to contribute at your full potential? Do you feel your talents are being used effectively?

3) The team you're working with
Do other team members support each other? Do you feel comfortable being yourself at work?

4) The company you're working for
Does the company have a culture of innovation? Does it have a good work/life balance? Does it pay fairly?

5) The boss that you have
Is your boss treating you well? Helping you out? Providing good feedback? Interested in your growth?

The higher you rank on each of them, the higher your satisfaction. But I would say, that to grow in a profession, you really have to enjoy what you do.

Angel recommends the following next steps:

Know your self well. What is what you enjoy the most of Software Engineering? If you had to do one thing all day, what would it be? (coding? testing? UX? interacting with customers? use any specific programming language?,etc)
Look for jobs at good companies that treat their employees well.
When interviewing for a job, make sure you ask questions to uncover the boss & team environment.

2

Kyle’s Answer

Like most jobs, being a Software Engineer has its challenges. Personally I don't like doing things that are easy and overcoming a challenge or a hard problem always makes me feel good. That's why I was drawn to programming and even if it is hard sometimes I always feel accomplished at the end of the day. I feel like most people I know and talk to are in the same boat, the love the feeling of making something work. I also think that the company culture of where you work is very important and my company believes in having fun. This has lead me to love my job and I enjoy going into work everyday. Like many of the responses here, there are many factors that go into enjoying what you do but I feel that a majority of software engineers enjoy their job.

1

Arlene’s Answer

I have been doing Software Engineering for 20 years and I say..

Most of the time, yes! I do enjoy my work (around 80%). There are down times of course (around 20%).

If you like to read (a lot, yes there will be a lot of reading), if you are curious, willing to learn, and if you have a dying passion to solve many problems, then this is the right track for you.

I will be overly cautious to tell you also that it is very important to find your best interest in Software Engineering field.

First of all, choose an industry that you will like, it plays a huge part in your self satisfaction. Nowadays, you can build a software just about for anything.

Second, find your domain. There are just too many options in Software Engineering. Take for example, if you say you would like to focus on the Web Technology. This is a vast and ever changing landscape and if you don't focus you may find that it is just too overwhelming for you. Know your options, decide on where your interest lies at. This will give you the career advantage to pile up your experience within the same domain. Would you like to do the server-side processing, client-side processing, UI, data mining, report building, test automation? Do some research and pick cautiously. Though it doesn't hurt to try them all, knowing where your interest lies gives you a good feeling, especially when you know what you are good with.

Third, look at the technology(ies) behind your chosen industries and domain and see if they are interesting for you. You have to know the basics of course! You will also find yourself doing a lot of reading around these technologies if you want to be good at this :)

Why do I enjoy it?
For me, it gives me great satisfaction to see my software (or my code being part of that software) being used in a product somewhere used by people. Somehow you helped solve a problem! If you like the industry and domain you choose, the more satisfying it will be.

What are the down times?
Other factors such as the company you are working for, the boss you have, the colleagues you are dealing with, the processes that you follow. They play a huge part too in your job satisfaction as well. Though these are the things that you are not in control of, try to find a good company and team fit as you build your career.

1

I think most software engineers enjoy their jobs.

Providing a software solution to a problem can be very rewarding.

Just like a lot of jobs there are portions of the job you may not enjoy.

Finding a good company and a supportive manager can also help make the job more enjoyable

1

Stacey’s Answer

Sure in the most part we enjoy doing software development work, when you choose wisely in the company and teams you work for. When you have a passion for the projects you are working on the technical detail become exciting . Engaging in problem solving gives you gratification. Something to consider is the values of the company you want to work for and what they mean to you.

Stacey recommends the following next steps:

Research companies you are interested on websites like Glassdoor. and social platforms.
Look for a local mentor in the field you are interested in.

1

kaili’s Answer

Good question!

Actually, I don't like my position. I like painting, you know ,it's my dream to be a famous painter when I was a small girl. But life is not always chosen by yourself. So I became a software engineer after finishing my master's degree.

Sometimes I feel so hard because there are so many bugs you need to fix. And there always some bugs you do not know how to deal with it. That makes me crazy. But you will obtain high excited after you finish it , and you think you are so cool and you are the best engineer instead of a newbie. At that time, I think that I like this occupation.

Thanks for the answer, Kaili! I'd believe that the majority of people are just like you. We all have some big dreams, but due to security, we decide to go with the safer option. It's not a bad idea either since you can complete 8 hours of work, and hustle when you get home! In my opinion, you made an informed decision, which should be considered by anyone! Aun M.

1

Laura’s Answer

Hi Tylar! There are many factors in enjoying your job, but if you are person that likes the area of software development, I believe that most software engineers enjoy their job. I would also say that depending on the project you’re working on, where you work, the people your working with, will also greatly contribute to your happiness at a job.

0

Zach’s Answer

There are many variables regarding happiness at work. I am very happy with my job as a software engineer at my current company. In general, I think software companies do a better job at working to keep their employees happy than some other industries. However, there are definitely software engineers that are unhappy. It all depends. Remember that no matter what you decide to pursue, if you're unhappy at a job, you should work to fix it. Being miserable at a job can be extremely draining.

0

Gaurav’s Answer

I would use the most generic answer "It Depends". As long as one is being challenged to and beyond their skills which pushes them to learn more makes it enjoyable.

At times the timelines could make it stressful but the process of going through the journey helps you learn a lot more things.

0

Yasith’s Answer

The answer is totally depend on individual. I have seen people who love coding (including me). If you have a passion for coding you will be enjoy doing it. This applies to any job, not only for Software Engineers. Choose what you like to do throughout your life and make that as your job. Then you will always enjoy doing it even in bad days.

0

Vineeth’s Answer

If someone dont enjoy the job thats not their cup of tea :) Think what you like to do and start your career. Most of the software engineers love to do something or the other with computers, coding or work around that side. And they do enjoy. But due to many organisational changes if your key focus is getting lost then you may need to shift to a better one.

0

Joseph’s Answer

I enjoy my job and I believe my co-workers do as well.

It is fun work to solve problems but it can also be tough work. There are times where you feel like you have no idea what you are doing but the trick is to keep looking for solutions and ask for help. There is no better feeling that solving an issue and learning something new in the process.

Also I never feel bored at my job since there is always something new to learn or some new problem to solve. I recommend this job if you like learning and solving problems.

0

Henry’s Answer

The software engineers I work with seem to mostly enjoy their job.
The problems that the job presents are generally challenging enough not to feel repetitive and there is a lot of freedom in the work.

0

Partha’s Answer

Don't force yourself to do something, whatever you like find it first then go for it.
Otherwise, in the middle of your journey, you will realize that you are not suitable for that.

Note: Applicable if you have monetary support :-)

This is great general advice but it doesn't directly answer the student's question. Any insight you can share around your experience in the software field would be helpful! Gurpreet Lally

0

Tudor’s Answer

Hi Tylar,

This is a great question, so I will do my best to answer it. I believe that what is important is to ask yourself if the Software Engineer role is one that see as fulfilling.

Another important aspect that is tied to this point is also making sure that where you work is the right fit for you. Many organizations pride themselves on their company culture, and core values. I recommend that you reach out to people inside the teams that you are interested in joining inside an organization, and get a feel for the culture, while ensuring that their values align with yours.

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

0

Craig’s Answer

Short answer, yes I do enjoy my job and the problems I get to solve.

The job requires not only problem solving skills but a good bit of creativity. Those aspects of the job is what really attracted me to software engineering. There's also something about the quick feedback cycle of writing code and seeing the compiler telling you about errors that is really satisfying.

However, there are aspects that could make the job not so fun. For example your team, boss, and/or your current project can make a huge difference on if you like your current job or not.

At the end of the day Software Engineering is a great field to be a part of. I'm glad I picked it and recommend it to anyone that enjoys problem solving and interacting with computers.

0

Avrom’s Answer

Anecdotally, I can say I definitely like my job as a software engineer (although sure, there are specific activities I don't enjoy much), but there's actually some data about this, which bears out the claim that software engineers, as a whole, are pretty happy in their jobs: See, for example, https://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-10-best-fields-for-job-satisfaction-2012-2#2-software-developer-9 (Numbers 5, 6, 7, and 9 on their list are also jobs that could fall under the heading of "software engineer").

0

0

Software engineers who enjoy programming generally like their job. Whether you like it will depend on how much you enjoy coding. Give some online courses a try and you can find out

0

Morgan 🌐’s Answer

It depends on what they're building, what they like to build, and who they're working with.

0