How much does an accountant make per year?

Asked El Campo, Texas

Carly’s Answer

Hi Roxsana, there are many different jobs in accounting which will determine how much you'd make. Starting off as a Bookeeper or an Accounting analyst would be around $30k - $60k. But over the course of your career as an accountant you could be promoted to positions like Assistant Controller, Controller and Director of Accounting or Chief Accounting Officer that have salaries upwards of $100k - $200k. And there are also accounting positions with accounting firms for internal and external audit and those salaries range from an Associate starting anywhere from $50k to Partner that have salaries well into the hundreds of thousands a year.

If you're interested in Accounting there are many jobs in the field so I'd recommend searching job postings for accounting jobs and read through some that you find interesting to see what the education and certification requirements are for the job (like a masters degree or a CPA etc). You can also see some of the more longer term jobs that are out there for accounting majors.

Daniel’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi Roxsana,

An entry level accounting salary can vary, depending on what time of firm you start your career at. What I mean by that is if you start your career in a small, medium or big firm. The big accounting firms (PwC, EY, Deloitte, KPMG) typically start an associate at $45,000-$60,000. I know from experience that your education, specifically a master's degree, can boost your starting salary upwards $10,000. If you obtain a useful master's degree for the field you enter, the firm may pay you extra because you are now a bigger asset to the team.

Sophia’s Answer

Hello Roxsana! I found three averages for accountant salaries per year. I will list them now. You can determine which one is most likely.

40k-76.6k by Glassdoor

37.6k-70.9k by PayScale

48.6k-58.7k by Salary.com

Sophia recommends the following next steps:

• Determine what you think is the average salary.
  • Research more about accountants.