Interview Q&A for Customer Success Management Role

1. Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.
2. How do you manage your time?
3.How did you handle an angry customer and what was the outcome?
4. Tools you use to measure success, and process to generate your reports?
5. How do you fight churn?

These are popular CSM interview questions, it would be great to know how to answer these with real-world examples. Thanks.

#career #interview #work #job #customersuccessmanagment

Updated San Antonio, Texas

Use the STAR approach when answering situational questions.

S: What was the SITUATION

T: What TASK did you need to accomplish

A: What ACTION did you take

R: What was the RESULT

Try to pick examples that will showcase your ability as a supervisor/manager. This would include correcting others, giving them coaching/training, delegating, apologizing to the customer, etc.

#1. "I try to do everything I can for each and every customer. I do not consider anything to be "Above and beyond" when it comes to customer service - my job is to be able to "connect" with each and every one of them, even if it is a difficult situation. I used to work at a state workforce office. I was required to give job referrals to my customers. I met with one who apparently perceived a wide racial/cultural gap between the two of us. Rather than being yet another "social worker" telling her how to successfully run her life, I opted to NOT give her any referrals on our first appointment. I told her it was more important to me to get to know her marketable skills and make sure she had a resume which showcased those skills in a way which would help her to get interviews for the types of positions she wanted. When she got up to leave, she reached out to shake my hand. (I advised my supv. of the situation, because I had deviated from procedure.) I worked with her through several subsequent appointments, which in fact included job referrals, and she was hired into a position she was seeking. <span style="color: rgb(93, 103, 106);">She wrote a letter of commendation to my manager, saying how she had dealt with "the system" for many years, and this was the first time she had been treated as a person rather than a number."</span>

<span style="color: rgb(93, 103, 106);">#3: the Angry customer: </span>

<span style="color: rgb(93, 103, 106);">You want to include such things as first: Listen. Most people want to be heard. Don't shout over them. If possible, remove them to a private office area. This removes the "Audience" as some of them are performing for the crowd. It also shows them some respect. Lower your voice rather than raising it. Watch your body language. No hands on hips, finger pointing, towering over them. If sitting at a desk, try sitting beside them rather than across from them. It projects that you see them as an "equal" rather than talking down at them. Let them know that you understand why they are upset. Repeat their issue back to them (using active listening skills). Ask them what they feel is a fair resolution. If they are so mad at you that you won't be able to resolve it, try to have a co-worker handle it (not a supervisor ---first comes the coworker!) If you are going to have to "look into it" let them know when they should hear back from you by, give them a way to contact you. Whatever example you use, use the STAR approach.</span>

2,4, 5 I don't know. There are articles available if you search "churn". Here is one.

https://www.snapagency.com/blog/churn-and-how-you-reduce

Brett’s Answer

Updated Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi Robert, Great to see your interest in Customer Success. It is a rapidly growing profession and can be an avenue into many other career paths. I've had the opportunity to lead CS organizations and in doing so, I've participated in many interviews. While the above question may be used in an interview, it is likely that conversation may go in a different direction. Customer Success is about how to build loyalty and trust with customers. At the end of the day, a company is hiring CSMs to ensure customers gain value from their service or solution and stay a customer. If you have experience doing that, I would spend time writing down a few good examples that you can relate to when an interviewer asks. If you have not done CS before, I would spend time researching their service and be able to speak to what you believe customers want to achieve and how you would help them. It is very important going into a Customer Success interview to be able to clearly differentiate a CS role from a support role. Support is break fix, Customer Success is about the customer achieving value from the solution. Hope this helps.

Letitia’s Answer

It is very important to show your communication and organization skills. You want to give examples on how you have achieve success with these important skills.