What classes are recommended to take during high school in order to be on track for the degree needed in college?

10

Nouman’s Answer

The world is turning more digital every day, with that advancement in technology we face challenges and we also have excellent tools out of all that digitization that help us work more efficiently. As multiple people already mentioned that you should look at what you are most interested in doing and what you like doing.

I would add that we will really need people that know how to interact with other people on a individual basis and treat every one with personal attention, listen to them. We already have people engaged too much with Face book, Virtual games and have almost lost the beauty of being social , by social I wanted to stress by not being on social media rather being with people and talking to them in person. Having said all that I would say no matter what you do try putting in a few modules that will help towards public speaking, counseling & human behaviors.

I say that after 15 years of working in a Tech company, working on technology 100% of the time. Technology how ever good it may be, how well intended its used, it does not make better Human beings that is done through the soft skills and knowing other people.

1

Lisa’s Answer

Hello Naomi,

I would recommend taking the classes you have an interest in but also having a broad range. The classes you have an interest in during high school will help you discover what you would like to study in college. By being interest in your classes now, you will be more motivate to do well and enjoy what you are doing.

Also, by having a broad range it will allow you change if you are not happy in the degree you decided. It would allow you to have some flexibility.

1

Kelley’s Answer

It would be best for you to take a well-rounded curriculum covering all the basics...depending on your college major, add in more specific courses that make sense for you...if your goal is engineering/science, add in more math classes.  If your college goals are medical related, add in more math & science.  If you want to study in the arts, add in more English, languages, art classes.  Basic classes such as computers & math have served me best!

0

Arturo’s Answer

As most had said, definetly take advantage of taking AP classes! If you pass the AP exam it transfers as college credit. Make sure you also strive for good grades (A, B, C), if you receive lower you have to retake the class depending on your highschool requirements. I have also provided you a link where you can check if you qualify for A-G. Here: https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/hs/hsgrtable.asp
Hope this helps!

0

Estelle’s Answer

I would get as many AP credits necessary for your core curriculum as you can. I would not try to place out of credits in your degree for fear of starting out too far ahead and getting overwhelmed.

0

Jared’s Answer

Hi Naomi. Do you know which degree you are interested in exactly? Your question doesn't specify which degree. The classes you might take in high school for an accounting degree could be very different from the ones you'd take for architecture or engineering or journalism.

The degree I am interested in becoming an industrial or commercial designer. What would the best classes to take in highschool that will lead to the classes I must take in college in order to go into that field. Naomi P.

0

Vincent’s Answer

Focus on taking challenging classes: Advance Placement or Honors. Keep your GPA high, and start studying for the SAT.

Think about what it means to be an entrepreneur and earning money. It's nice to do something that colleges define, it's better to focus on what it takes to earn money.

Thank You so much! Naomi P.

0

Barry’s Answer

Don't worry about it! High school is such a great time to grow as a person, discover what your passions are, and what you are good at. There are not many jobs that depend on the classes you took in high school, or college for that matter... The most important thing is to do well in school, and finish strong.

If I could do it over again, I would take some running start classes Jr. and Sr. year. I had a few friends who graduated high school with their Associates degree from the local community college, and had it paid for by their school! If you were able to do that, and have your undergrad finished after high school, you could get away with only paying for 2 years of university, and use that to focus on what you are passionate about and decide to major in.

Thank you so much for your response! It was really helpful and I greatly appreciate it. Would you recommend taking summer college classes at community colleges in order to be ahead? Naomi P.

I took one round of summer school and actually had to take a break in the fall afterward... for me that was a nice time to recharge. However, summer school is a great way to catch up, or get done really quickly if you have a goal in mind. Another great benefit of summer college classes, they are normally shorter than the regular courses and you get the same amount of credit. Best of luck!! Barry Landis

0

Ivory’s Answer

I agree! You should really focus on what makes you happy and what you enjoy doing. Once you figure that out get with your guidance counselor and align your schedule to fit that. Good luck !

0

Ari’s Answer

It depends on the school that you are at and the college that you want to go to. If you have the option of calculus or statistics you will need to do some research on which to take. Go on the college website and look at what classes will be needed for the major you are considering. This will help you figure out what classes to take in high school that will help you in college.

0