The intimidating / frustrating / exciting part about design is that there are so many options. First, you need to sort out what are of design you are looking to focus on. Second, begin to look at schools, programs as well as individuals who are inspiring to you. For me it began with a focus on a specific style + genre of design and from there I looked at schools where the professors met my style / need.
Dave recommends the following next steps:
- Choose a style / genre / area
- Find inspiration from professionals / studio
- Look for schools that represent #2
- Think about where you want to be in 5 years and what you need to reach that goal
- Reach out to other professionals / studios (mentors are gold)