What are the educational requirements to become a programmer?

What colleges/courses do I need to take to become a professioal programmer?

#programming #technology #college #computer

Aditya’s Answer

You could try majoring in Computer Sciences. But i would strongly suggest getting certified in a few programming languages. would give you major brownie points

Adam’s Answer

Hi Jeremiah!

Some companies will have requirements, especially when they are looking for someone with experience, but one of the benefits of software engineering is that it can be almost entirely self taught these days. There are a ton of resources, both free and paid. You don't have to wait for a teacher. You don't have to wait for someone to tell you whether you did it right. You just learn, practice, and apply. Your coding becomes your proof of knowledge.

As someone who wasn't good at coding for a long time, the idea of engineering was very intimidating. I attended a cheap code school and started developing my own programs. It was frustrating at first, but it was rewarding in the long run. Although I'm not a professional coder (just for fun!), my advice here is: if I can do it, so can you. It's an awesome field, full of awesome people, and challenging/rewarding work.

Adam recommends the following next steps:

• Research code schools
  • Research which coding language is your favorite - there are a lot of them, and they all do different things. The internet is largely built on JavaScript/HTML/CSS, while mobile applications are largely built on React. Those are awesome places to start.
  • After picking your language(s), try building something basic in your favorite language - google 'hello, world'!

Chris’s Answer

Computer Science degrees provide a useful foundation, but they sometimes don't really teach you to become a programmer. In my college, it was more theory and less practice. The best way to actually learn to become a programmer is to just dive into something you're curious about, or create some software to solve a problem. I created blog software from scratch in college because there really wasn't any online software back then that did this.

This being said, some companies require a Computer Science/Engineering degree before they will even consider you as a programmer. So you probably need the degree as well as the self-taught projects.

Sri Athithya Kruth’s Answer

Of course, a degree in Computer Science would be ideal for such a thing. A computer science degree would allow you to learn subjects like:

• Data Structures and Algorithms
  • Algorithms
  • Python, Java etc.
  • Database Management Systems
  • Computer Networks

And many more!

Computer Programming is something people work on in different aspects throughout various domains, with knowledge of all of these subjects!

In case you would like to do some self-study, you can go to sites like tutorialspoint, codeacademy etc. which offer practical courses to learn these things.

Akshama’s Answer

There are no educational requirements per se to become a programmer. You just need logical thinking abilities and basic mathematical skills, and you're good to go and learn a programming language.

Nicole’s Answer

To become a computer programmer you should major in Computer Science! A Computer Science major at any college will have a course curriculum that covers all of the educational requirements.

Also want to note that you don't necessarily need a degree to become a programmer. I majored in engineering, but learned programming through my current job. You can learn basic programming online, and work experience can also provide excellent training in programming!

Jayesh’s Answer

Students from the Computer Science background and knowledge of the programming languages like C Language, C++, JAVA, HTML, etc and last but not the list interest in coding, can make their carrier as programmer.

Neeraj’s Answer

There is no need to have a specific degree to become a programmer. Anyone with any educational degree can learn programming by following online material and practice.

Aman’s Answer

Most employers, however, require programmers to hold at least a bachelor's degree in a field such as computer science, mathematics or information systems. Some jobs even call for a master's degree.