What entry level jobs in the fashion industry do you recommend I seek out that will set me up on the best most successful career path?

5

I really want to have a successful career in fashion. I'm not sure exactly what I want to do within the industry, so I'm hoping to get some advice or insight into what you believe to be entry level jobs within fashion/retail that would put me in the best place/career track to be successful within 5-10 years out of college. Thank you in advance!! :) #fashion #human-resources #retail

5

Steve’s Answer

1

I am not an expert in the fashion world. But, I will tell you that to be successful, you must find what you like to do first. Try to get internships or a mentor. This way you can be exposed to many areas and perhaps find something you did not know existed.

Thank you! Stacy M. Translate
1

Lindsey’s Answer

1

Hello,

Steve offered up some great advice to this question. I would also recommend that you start in a fashion industry role where you can interact with the customer. An example of a role could be a sales employee at a local retailer.

Starting out in a role where you interact with the customer will give you a perspective of how the end user shops and how they appreciate fashion. With that understanding it provides you a solid foundation in the fashion industry to have the customer perspective as you grow into various fashion industry roles.

Lindsey

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely work in a store to get that first hand customer experience while in high school and college. Is there a specific job/dept within fashion that has the highest salary potential? Stacy M. Translate
Hello, My recommendation for the highest paid entry level retail job would be to work in a commission based fashion retail role. Various fashion retailers offer commission based selling roles. Good luck! Lindsey Lindsey Daniels Translate
1

Scott’s Answer

0

Retail is such as big beast in regards of options! I spent 3 short years in Retail with Australian clothing company CottonOn and loved it. I worked at the head office but also spent a lot of time in stores. I worked my way up to be Australian Merchandise Manager which is basically a Supply Chain role which interacts with every department / role in Retail.

First decision is do you want to work in the store, head office or warehouse? 2nd decision is the role e.g. Buying, Visual Merchandiser, Warehouse, Store Manager, Supply Chain. Operations (HR/IT/Finance ect) 3rd decision is finding the right company. Good luck!

0

Kimberly’s Answer

0
Hi Stacy!
I think you have some great answers to this question already. I echo a lot of their statements on first working in a retail store to understand the customers point of view & even understand how that retailer operates. When you join a retailer as a sales associate you also gain a lot of insight into how their corporate office also operates - for better or for worse!

I also think the best way to see where you want to go with your career path in fashion is to pursue a fashion merchandising degree. When I went into college, I was 100% planning to pursue a career as a buyer. After taking a few classes on the subject, I realized this path was not for me & instead pursued a career in fashion marketing. Once you take a few classes you can really get a feel for what you do and don't like. When you couple this with your retail experience you will be destined for a career path you love!

Kimberly recommends the following next steps:

• Start out researching local retail companies to get a sales associate job. I even recommend walking a local mall and popping into stores you like to see if they are hiring
  • Research different career paths in fashion. There are some great books out there that can help narrow down choices - one of my favorites is The Teen Vogue handbook. This gives a great snapshot of how people within the fashion industry got their start!
0

Gretchen’s Answer

0

Consider getting a part time job with a company like Stitch Fix. This retail model will help you gain insight on customer service, styling and developing product knowledge. There are lots of companies out there like this that will let you work remotely and balances well with school schedules.

0