How do I become an actor at the age of 15?

I have been wanting to act for a while now and I've only took one year of theater and I'm about to take my second year, I'm a 15 yo male, 5'10 #actor #acting #actors #theatre #theater #film-acting

Try extra work on TV and movies. Find a casting company like Central Casting. Min. Leslie Green

2

Lexi’s Answer

There are so many opportunities to start acting in your teens. I would suggest involvement in your school drama program, if there is one. I'd also suggest seeing if there are free acting or improv classes in your area. Established actors continue to take classes throughout their careers, this helps you learn the craft, network with other actors, directors, etc. If you have a friend that does photography, you may also want to go ahead and have them take some headshots for you - if you find any auditions you will need these, but I wouldn't spend money on them at 15 as you'll need to update them as you get older. I'd also suggest finding a local theater in your area that may work with students or teens - even if it's mostly adults you could get involved by helping with the set, costumes, etc. as well as audition if parts come up. I did all of these things in my teens before going to college to become a theater major - I was so glad that I had background BEFORE college, and it was also really fun since I was passionate about it!

Lexi recommends the following next steps:

Get in a drama or acting class at your school or in your neighborhood
Volunteer to help with an ongoing theater production - on the stage crew, etc.
Take an improv class in your area
See if a friend can help you take a few headshots for free - you'll use these to audition
Once you've some training - start looking up auditions in your city!

1

Erin’s Answer

I would get specific about what kind of acting you want to do. Plays? Television? Movies? This will help you sharpen your focus. If you want to do it all, that's great, too!
In general, practice, practice, practice. That's how you get good. Watch people who are better than you. If you want to be in movies, watch them. If you want to do theatre, go see it in your community.
If you want to pursue theatre, getting a BFA at a great theatre university or college is key. If you want to pursue film, this may not be necessary for you.
Take classes, and be willing to make mistakes.

Erin recommends the following next steps:

Absorb as much content as you can
Read Audition by Michael Shurtleff - offers invaluable pillars in great acting

0