What kind of people do mechanical engineers work with?

I want to be a mechanical engineer because i like working with my hands. #engineering #work #mechanical #people

Wael’s Answer

Updated Redford Charter Township, Michigan

I like working with my hands too! I service all my vehicles and built my racing car myself. However, mechanical engineering is way more than that. Mechanical engineering is all about designing components and systems. I designed a propulsion system for Shell Ecomarathon competition vehicle, an inlet manifold for my racing car, and coded a program for engines emissions evaluation. In short, mechanical engineering is vast and extremely fun. However, going into it because you like working with your hands isn't enough. Being a technician is an easier way if that what you are interested in.

Kelly’s Answer

Updated Vienna, Virginia

I work with mechanical engineers all the time. The great thing about mechanical engineering, which can also be a curse for mech e students in their senior year, is that mechanical engineers can go into so many different fields. I work in building design, so I am constantly coordinating fire suppression and fire alarm equipment with mechanical equipment interfaces. We also work with mechanical engineers to design smoke control systems. Other fields mechanical engineers work in are the automotive industry, electronics, robotics, aeronautics, construction, energy, and many many more.

Besides working with other types of engineers to coordinate and design systems and products, mechanical engineers will often work with clients or project managers who may or may not understand the technical work that goes into their job. This makes communication skills very important, and it applies across nearly any and every field engineers work in. If it sounds cliche, it's because it's true.

If you like working with your hands, that is great! Even if you don't end up working with your hands in your career path, I have found that tinkerers and makers are some of the best engineers I have collaborated with. Engineering is a great field to get in, and one of the best ways you can make your love for working with your hands into a high-earning career. Best of luck to you!