Which Online Unitveristy for Cyber should I choose ?

Hello fellows,

I have decided to get a bachelor's into Cybersecuirty, but I've been confusing with three (3) online universities which one of them has strong curriculum for Cyber, so I listed links of the three universities hereunder and I am looking for expertise or for anyone who has IT background to do quick review and advise me which one shall I choose

** If anyone has a suggestion or advice for other university better than my list, enlighten me plz""

1- Champlain College
(https://www.champlain.edu/online/bachelors-degrees/bs-cyber-security-degree/courses)
---------------------------------
2- Kennesaw state University
(https://learnonline.kennesaw.edu/undergraduate-programs/emajor/bs_cybersecurity.php)
---------------------------------
3- Southern New Hampshire University
(https://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/bachelors/cyber-security)

#college-admissions #college-major #career #university #cyber #cyber #cybersecurity #college-major

I would look at WGU, (Western Governor University has or helps you get certified which is what employers are really looking for over education), or Colorado Technical University, (they are pricey and last checked did not have certifications as part of the course.) Charles Aubian

4

Brendan’s Answer

Thanks for asking this question. I would actually recommend getting a computer science degree as you don't pidgin hole your self down the road. For example lets say 3 years after you graduate you may want to go into development or be a database analyst with that degree you have the option of doing different things as you have the foundation skills that you learned during college.

If during your junior year if you still would want to get in to cyber security I would look at either getting a cyber security certificate from SANS (sans.org) or consider getting your masters from one of the following graduate institutions.

An advantage to doing it this way is that you could work full time and then be a part time student. Most companies, not all, have a tuition reimbursement program.

Hope this helps.

Brendan recommends the following next steps:

Obtain webinars on program
Request information on each program
Look at the standardized testing required
Take standardized testing
Apply to programs

Much gratitude , I don't really know to thank you deeply for your advice, I have one more inquiry, f I was enrolled in Computer Science in my Junior year,can I go all the way to MS into Cybersecurity ? is that what you have advised me ? or I misunderstood it, if yes, would it be slightly some difficulties for me as a junior student has few IT knowledge to go straight to MS ? To be continuted ... next comment. Moe A.

Furthermore, I would prefer security track, is that mean if I chose enrollment in Cybersecuirty instead of Computer Science, would I lose foundations in IT rule, because my thought was about I want to come-up with Cybersecuirty high-demand and if I decidead to choose another major will be waste of time untill deep-diving myself into Cyber world. Finally, all of the universites that I posted above-mentioned have foundation courses for security and all of the courses will spend the bulk of time in Cyber, which is quite good for someone like me doesn't have that experince, could you please review their curricalum. Moe A.

You can most definitely go straight from undergrad to graduate school. The only real differences is if you want to work and get your degree part time or put all your efforts into obtaining your degree as a full time student. The Below are just my opinions so you can take them with a grain of salt but i would really implore you to watch some webinars attend some information sessions to make your own decision. Brendan Opalka

SNHU is a little weak on the major courses and if you were to compare it with Champlain, Kennesaw or Johns Hopkins it really doesn't stack up. Champlain college looks like a decent well rounded program. I would have liked to see some more programming in there. Like an intro to Java course. Kennesaw I have never heard of but it looks like a very intense program. It has a board course selection. I would personally look at Champlain or Johns Hopkins. If you are really interested in a specific class email the professors asking to see if they will share a syllabus with you. Hope this helps!! Brendan Opalka

I really appreciate you Mr. Brendan, you enlightened me, again much thanks, I attended a webinar for Cybersecuirty at Champlain College it had been very informative, as a result and final judgment , is the curricalum good fits for me as a newbie in IT at Champlain based on their curricalum or consider Computer Science as you advised me earlier ? Moe A.

1

Dennis’s Answer

As someone who took a non-traditional route into Cyber - Sure there is an advantage to getting a bachelors or formal education in a subject that is applicable, but most times these educations for are ideal training that doesn't make a ton of sense until you get to practicing security.

I'll use my own experience as an example - I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering and then graduated and got started in cyber, because I thought it was super cool to learn how to hack, break, and rebuild systems. When I got started I realized I needed a deep knowledge of IT (things like windows machines, linux boxes, scripting, tooling, open source, etc etc) in order to really understand how to break the thing, you have to know how the thing works.

It lead me into a field that I honestly wasn't expecting within cybersecurity - Product management - My engineering degree serves me well and taught me critical thinking, solving problems nobody has seen before in novel ways, and thinking pragmatically at different deep vs high levels about a problem before diving in researching options, solutions, and expertise folks need.

From the folks I work with day-in and day-out that are in this field - It's great to get a CS degree or a business IT degree - take certs that are applicable to what you like and what you want to do, and then navigate as your career develops into what you like.

Dennis recommends the following next steps:

Get a CS degree - learn to code, get foundation around learning to solve problems and teaching yourself things
If you enjoy your security classes, or the certs you take during your junior/senior years - keep at it and get a job in that area (there's no shortage)
get a entry level job and assuming you're still interested, push towards application security or cybersecurity fields and take as many certs as you can to market your skills/capabilities.
Get the cyber job you want, assuming you've learned you still have a majorly strong interest.

0

I am going to Western Governors University online since the certifications are included with tuition. You can also complete a class as fast or take your time with it so you are in control of your graduation date also. Tuition is affordable also. Worth checking into.

0