What are some jobs relevant to cyber security that I can acquire while attending graduate school ?

Updated Chicago, Illinois

I'm in my first year of my cybersecurity graduate program and I want to obtain a part-time job working in roles related to cybersecurity. I'm wondering what kinds of positions I should be looking for that will allow me to obtain relevant experience. I would like something that will better prepare me for what working in the information security industry looks like. Any advice is greatly appreciated. #cyber Security #information-technology #cyber-security #web-development #law #law-enforcement

Haider’s Answer

Networking and endpoint/server troubleshooting try to be part of technical support or NOC "Network Operation Center" then move your way up into deployment of networking & servers equipment then security devices like "NGFW, IPS, WAF, DAM, DLP, Encryption" .. remember getting all basic and foundation right will help you a lot in being advanced in security later on.

Hello gentlemen, I certainly appreciate your advice because it gives me a starting point as far as what I should be looking for, so I can obtain that vital experience I need. I want to be able to use what I'm learning and gain insight into the various areas of the industry. Its seems that these recommendations will do just that. I certainly welcome any tips I can get to guide me towards a successful future in cybersecurity or related fields. Thank you both, -Armando

Joel’s Answer

I agree with Haider. Almost any type of technical IT experience is useful and may allow you to begin to build your connections into a corporation's cybersecurity organization. Cybersecurity impacts every component of IT, so almost any technical job in IT can give you valuable experience that will be useful when you complete your graduate program.

Aparna’s Answer

I would definitely suggest aiming to understand the best security architecture practices. Getting hands on experience in drawing the network diagrams, zoning and perimeter controls will give a good understanding of how a secure network could be implemented. I also would advise getting a hold of the CISSP book and understanding the different domains. That will definitely give you an idea on the various aspects of security.

Thank you so much for the great advice Mrs. Gajula. I am currently working in an IT internship and have gained some perspective on matters of security. But I will certainly follow up with your advice and see if I can implement your suggestion of drawing network diagrams in this role. I will also look into getting a copy of the CISSP book as well.