What are some jobs relevant to cyber security that I can acquire while attending graduate school ?

Updated Chicago, Illinois

I'm in my first year of my cybersecurity graduate program and I want to obtain a part-time job working in roles related to cybersecurity. I'm wondering what kinds of positions I should be looking for that will allow me to obtain relevant experience. I would like something that will better prepare me for what working in the information security industry looks like. Any advice is greatly appreciated. #cyber Security #information-technology #cyber-security #web-development #law #law-enforcement

Haider’s Answer

Networking and endpoint/server troubleshooting try to be part of technical support or NOC "Network Operation Center" then move your way up into deployment of networking & servers equipment then security devices like "NGFW, IPS, WAF, DAM, DLP, Encryption" .. remember getting all basic and foundation right will help you a lot in being advanced in security later on.

Hello gentlemen, I certainly appreciate your advice because it gives me a starting point as far as what I should be looking for, so I can obtain that vital experience I need. I want to be able to use what I'm learning and gain insight into the various areas of the industry. Its seems that these recommendations will do just that. I certainly welcome any tips I can get to guide me towards a successful future in cybersecurity or related fields. Thank you both, -Armando

Joel’s Answer

I agree with Haider. Almost any type of technical IT experience is useful and may allow you to begin to build your connections into a corporation's cybersecurity organization. Cybersecurity impacts every component of IT, so almost any technical job in IT can give you valuable experience that will be useful when you complete your graduate program.