What do civil engineers mostly do?

2

I am a student at Brennan High School looking for more information on #engineering #civil-engineering #civil-engineer

2

Peter’s Answer

0

Hello, David. I am a retired Civil Engineer who has worked in the field for more than 40 years. CE's can work on a great variety of projects. I list the basic fields below:

Structures (Bridges, dams, buildings, etc.)

Water (water supply, wastewater treatment, flood control, drainage, hydrology)

Shipping ports, airports

Roads and Highways

Geotechnical

Environmental remediation (toxic site cleanup)

My particular field is Water Resources. During my career I have worked designing water treatment plants, water and sewer pipelines and wastewater treatment plants. I have conducted water supply studies and traced river pollution problems in major rivers. Much of my worked involved managing and treating stormwater from industrial and urban areas to protect fish habitat in local streams. I have led numerous water quality assessments for complex environmental impact statements. Perhaps my favorite projects have been stream restoration projects where I developed instream measures to improve fish habitat and facilitate the return of spawning salmon here in the Pacific Northwest.

I stay active even in my retirement, helping design water supply systems for small villages in African and Central and South American countries. And I am scheduled to fly to the Bahamas later this month. to assess the terrible flood damages from a recent Category 5 Hurricane that ravaged the islands a couple of months ago. I hope you get a sense of my excitement and enthusiasm for Civil Engineering. This can be a very rewarding career for a dedicated person, where you work every day on projects that truly improve the world.

Good Luck, Pete Sturtevant, PE

Peter recommends the following next steps:

• For more information I suggest that you contact your local (San Antonio) Chapter of American society of Civil Engineers. I am sure chapter members would be happy to personally discuss engineering opportunities with you.
0

Amit’s Answer

0

The greatest asset of an engineers is being Logical and ability to find answers.

Though Civil engineers mostly help to plan/build some of the great Infrastructures, like Dams, Buildings.

But i have seen a lot of civil engineers becoming Architects or Even shifting towards the Software Skills.

They can be pure Computer/Programming folks OR they can supplement their Civil Engineering knowledge with Computer skills

Amit recommends the following next steps:

• Check this out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_engineer
0