Douglas Lemmo, P.E.
I believe the personal attributes for success are pretty much the same for any field:
- When you make a commitment - keep it
- Show up on time
- When given a new task, Do your homework (research) on the subject.
- When asking for help, make sure you concisely describe the problem and the steps you have already taken to solve it.
- When asked a question for which you have no answer - state that you do not know the answer.
- Take full responsibility for mistakes you make.
- Do not make the same mistake twice.
- Be respectful, honest, truthful
You get the idea: Remember the Golden Rule
When I hire folks, especially for entry level positions, I put more weight on "Attitude & Ability" over "Skills & School".
If you have the right attitude, you can always learn the skills.
Ability to communicate - on point, concise and clear - and with all levels (peers, managers and executives) - is very important.