The day to day work for an auditor can vary widely based on a number of things, including: type of auditor (internal/external), specialization (finance, IT, investments, healthcare, etc), specific responsibilities (audit work, annual audit planning), and more.
Some common things would be:
- Meeting with clients to obtain an understanding of the business process and controls for the particular audit being performed
- Assessing risk associated to business processes and preparing & performing test steps to assess the effectiveness of controls.
- Working with clients to communicate test findings and monitoring any actions needed to address control issues.
But depending on the particular company/job, you can also find yourself:
- traveling to domestic and international locations to perform audit work
- working with a team of auditors to perform the audit work
- meeting with various levels of management to understand growing issues in the company and plan audits to review controls in that area
- perform forensic investigations on fraud cases raised to your team
- develop robotics, machine learning and other data analysis programs to provide comprehensive coverage in your testing and monitoring of risks
- and many more
Audit provides a wide range of opportunities and your day to day will vary depending on the type of audit career you pursue.