How did you move from a front-end developer into a full-stack?

I am a self taught #front-end #developer. Currently deciding to get formal training to later move into #back-end development. I have strong fundamentals in #programming #computer #software.

Hanié (Zahra)’s Answer

Hi Isaiah,

My personal experience: I was a fullstack (node js, react) and moved to a frontend (only react). I would recommend consider your goals. If you want to financially grow your career, then you can either become best in either FE or BE. This way you can become a senior in one domain faster and increase your chances in job market and scoring higher salaries. If you want to move to BE for any other reason, I would recommend watching some short videos on Youtube for your targeted languages to get a taste of which one you like to move forward with (I figured out I have a passion for Python this way).

Let's say you choose one language, now to learn:

Hanié (Zahra) recommends the following next steps:

• Check Udemy website and their courses
  • Check Youtube
  • Connect to the community of that specific platform or language and try keeping updated
  • Get involved with open source projects, and do some side project (doesn't matter if you replicate an existing project)
  • Do some code challenges, and read conversations around them! you will learn how to code better by reading other codes!

Tova’s Answer

Great question, Isaiah. I haven't made this exact career move, but one recommendation that I would suggest is to work on side projects so you can gain experience building full-stack apps. Whereas your front-end projects likely used existing APIs as their data source, you would now want to focus on building an API yourself. You might even create a fork of one of your current projects that uses a custom backend instead of the current API it is using. Feel free to start with free or very cheap tutorials online (Youtube, Udacity, Udemy) to get you started.

To give you an idea of the type of side project I'm talking about, one full-stack project that I worked on in the past is a textbook exchange website. A friend and I built a website (front-end using React, backend using PHP/Laravel) where students could list textbooks that they wanted to sell, browse the available textbooks, and connect with sellers of the textbooks they wanted to buy. I started by building the front-end and using the Google Books API, since my friend was building out a backend at the same time. Then over time, the plan was to integrate with our custom backend and use our own library of books (using fake data in the beginning, until we launched).

Hope this helps provide some ideas and inspiration! Best of luck.