How difficult is it to find a job after college for computer programmers?

I want to go to college to learn how to program computers, but I'm wondering how the job market for computer programmers are? #computer #software #programming #java #developer

6

According to code.org, by 2020, there will be 1.4 million jobs in the computing field, but just 400,000 college computer science majors to fill them.

Good luck with your degree!

2

Juwan’s Answer

Check out these websites to see how many job openings are out there:

• https://linkedin.com/
  • https://angel.co/
  • https://www.glassdoor.com/

Additionally, what matters more is not to be "a" computer programmer but "competitive" one that can be attractive by any employers out there.

0

Jason’s Answer

It depends a little on how good your college is at placement, but a good computer programmer will have a much easier time finding a job than most other careers you could choose.

FastCompany put up an article a couple of years ago called Why Coding is Still the Job Skill of the Future for Everyone. It pointed out that while the actual job title "Computer Programmer" is on the wane, the skill of computer programming is increasingly vital in a very wide variety of careers. I would also say that even saying that the job title "Computer Programmer" being on the decline is misleading as well because the Bureau of Labor Statistics treats "Computer Programmer", "Software Developer - Applications", and "Software Developer - Systems Software" as separate, but in practice the job descriptions for these fields is quite fluid.

When I was two years into my college degree (about 25 years ago), majoring in Mechanical Engineering, I took a required programming course and decided that is what I loved doing, so I decided to switch to Computer Science. My mother worried, "It seems like a lot of people are getting into that. Are you sure you'll be able to get a job after?" With the benefit of hindsight, that seems like a silly question. With the exception of a downturn for a few years in 2000, the job market has been very good for me and the gap between supply of and demand for good computer programmers is only getting wider.

Jason recommends the following next steps:

Read "Why Coding Is Still The Most Important Job Skill Of The Future" to get a better feeling for the breadth of jobs where computer programming applies

0

Morgan’s Answer

It is strong around the world and programmers and developers are being sourced from a lot of places. Don't be afraid to look outside of where your living to work however. A lot of programmers and developers are remote workers. I for example am based in Ireland, but work for a team based in Texas.

You might find that there are a number of small businesses within your area that are looking for projects and development work on a contract basis, so look at your local recruitment companies and keep an eye on monster and other job sites for short term contracts to get your experience up.

In the meantime, check out http://www.freelancer.com and start looking at the very short term work that people are looking for (you might also find some interesting ideas in there for college projects) and bid against some.

0

Cinthya’s Answer

Tech is an on demand field at the moment.
I will say work on building your profile as soon as possible. As well as applying for internships to build up your resume.
So once you graduate you have a well rounded resume.

Cinthya recommends the following next steps:

Apply for intership
Feature your work in a portfolio
Keep adding to your portfolio
Build an online present (website) and a resume.

0

Matt’s Answer

I think a lot of it is about how you try to find a job when you're graduating. When I was in college in the mid-90s, I started interviewing for internships and jobs two years before I graduated. I found that most of my competition was graduate students. Most of the undergrads did not even interview for jobs! If you contribute to open source and enjoy coding, you'll do just fine getting a job as a software engineer. I was able to double my salary within six months of graduating because I switched from full-time to contract. Good luck!

0