What courses are required to take to be in the medical field ?

4

I am unsure on where I want to go in the medical field. I am interested in nursing but I want to go more deep and do a lot more, I just don’t know my passion just yet. #medicine #doctor #healthcare

4

Yasemin’s Answer

0
Hi Jayline! So the answers below did a great job with the prerequisites for the medical field. You take these during college, that being said being a physician and nurse are two different things. The courses you take in college are very similar if not same, but the path to being a physician is longer. You definitely want to explore which path you want to take and focus on that during college, such as volunteering and working with patients. I would advise to speak with an adviser, in college there are premed advisers, you can reach out to them and discuss your options on which healthcare path you would like to choose. You mentioned you are interested in nursing but want to do more, you can also be a nurse practitioner, they can write prescriptions and work more closely with patients in diagnosis. You still work with a doctor in final say matters but it is definitely more integrated than a traditional nursing school route. There is also PA- physician's assistant- and they are also more integrated in diagnosing and working with patients. I once had to go to the ER for a pain in my ear after being sick for a really long time and a PA took care of me! The point is if you like healthcare and are interested in this field, check out a couple options before buckling down with one route. However, don't worry because if you have passion for helping patients and working in the medical field whichever route you choose whether nurse, physician or something along the lines of that you will do well! This field is really about being disciplined, studying hard and being able to work with patients and have compassion to take care of others. It is a teamwork field, and each career option is valuable!
P.S. I would also advise to check out AAMC.org, they give great advice and tips for students interested in healthcare.

Yasemin recommends the following next steps:

• Talk with premed adviser and explore options
  • Visit AAMC.org and explore articles on healthcare fields
0

0
In the US, to apply to medical school, you need a bachelor's degree. Any 4-year university should suffice.

Pick a college that suits your personality and a major that interests you. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.

Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses.

Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters
0

Hwal’s Answer

0

Jayline,

I'm a current PA (Physician Assistant) student learning to practice medicine, and I feel this is definitely one of the career paths you can consider! PAs practice in all states and DC, as well as in all medical specialties and settings, which would give you much flexibility.

Here's a link to information on steps to become a PA, from the American Academy of PAs: https://www.aapa.org/news-central/2018/08/6-steps-become-pa/

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck!

Hwal

0

Jayvaughn’s Answer

0

Biology or biology chemistry anything in that area is considered Pre-Med remember Pre-Med Isn’t a actual thing so make sure your looking for anything pertaining to the human body.

0

0
Any 4 year university should be able to provide you with all of the premed requirements (1 year biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry).
0