What's the best way to start off a game development career?

Hi! My life long dream has been being a game developer, but don't know the steps to take.
#video-game-design #video-games #computer-games #game-design

Bryon’s Answer

A lot of people are involved in developing a game: artists, game designers, programmers, testers, marketers, etc. A good first step is to figure out what you'd like your first role to be. Once you figure that out, a good second step is to attend college if you can. If you're looking to become an engineer, a degree in computer science or mathematics can be valuable. If you're looking to become an artist, an art degree can help get you in the door. If you can't attend college, consider joining a smaller gaming company in an entry-level non-technical role (like QA or customer support) from which you can gain skills and grow your career. It's definitely possible to laterally transfer from customer support and QA to product management in a smaller company.

I worked as a software engineer in the gaming industry for about 4 years. A word of warning: the gaming industry can be rough. There can be a constant sprint to meet deadlines . Wages can be lower due to a large supply of willing employees. Job security can evaporate as soon as a game ships or is cancelled. However, it also can be fun and exciting.

Bryon recommends the following next steps:

• Determine your desired role in the game development process
  • Attend college
I figured it was a tough industry to get into and stay in especially with the amount of people who are willing to do it for little pay. Thank you for your answer, it's helped!

Omar’s Answer

Hi Tyler. I already looked into some useful resources and I think this video you might really need to look into: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOxxpdbsAo

Thank you!