How do I improve as an artist so that I can use art to make a living?

I'd love to be an artist and am curious to know what steps I need to take to make art my profession.

#art #drawing #fine-art #career #college

3

Hannah’s Answer

There are multiple ways to improve as an artist, so you can explore some options that might be right for you! When I was showing my portfolio to potential art schools, they always stressed the importance of drawing from real life to improve my drafting and composition skills. I ended up getting a degree in jewelry design, and those years of practice drawing real life subjects gave me an excellent eye for coming up with designs.

First you might want to think about the kinds of things you enjoy most about art or drawing: do you like to create a narrative or story with your drawings? Do you plan to sell items independently or would you like to work as part of a larger team of people? That might help you decide whether you would feel more engaged in an illustration program or in a painting program where you can learn the skills you need to then become a freelance artist, among other options. If you are interested in pursuing a degree for this, there are associates degrees and bachelors degree to look into. I would recommend looking at the art and design programs at schools in your area just to get a sense of the skills they teach students. Do you have a favorite artist who is alive today? If they have a website of their work, they often also have a resume that shows the kinds of things they might have done before they became your favorite artist!

One of the things that connects good artists from throughout history is simply PRACTICE! You cannot become an artist if you are not making art. Even if small sketches seem like nothing at the time, they are always training you, a little at a time!

0

Jessica Rose’s Answer

You tube your butt off on this topic and also look at Instagram and Pinterest for inspiration.

0