4 answers
Asked Viewed 235 times Translate

Finishing up my degree in psychology with an emphasis in school guidance. But I'm wondering what my job options are with that degree.

Looking for help as I am about to start looking for jobs after graduation. #psychology #degree #career #job

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 3 Pros

4 answers

Updated Translate

Janet’s Answer

Hi! I was a school psychologist for 25 years. This can be a great career. With a degree in Psychology, you will need a masters in school psychology to be one. If you want to be a school counselor, you will need a masters in school counseling. These are usually 2 year full-time programs. Depending on the state in which you will be working, you might then have to take an exam to get certified. Look at your state's board of education website.

These are good jobs which usually pay well. Some school districts will put you on the same scale as the teachers, others may hire you independently. You may also be able to work for an agency which pays you -- the school district pays them.

These jobs usually have excellent benefits, including health insurance and pension funds.

Depending on your placement, you may be fortunate to be placed in one or two schools. However, if you work for a large public school system, you may be in many schools over the course of a week or a month.

Counselors usually work in high schools. School psychologists may work with children aged anywhere from 3 years (preschool) to high school. Both may meet with parents and teachers as well. A psychologist's job is to find out why children are having difficulties in schools -- usually involve evaluating or testing a student, observing in the classroom, interviewing parents and teachers, writing reports and/or behavior intervention plans. You may also do individual or group counseling. A school counselor often works with students seeking education after high school (most likely college or technical training) or within high school (vocational training). Counselors may or may not do group or individual counseling.

See program and course descriptions at universities offering masters programs in these fields.

100% of 2 Pros
Updated Translate

Chasidy’s Answer

I recieved my Associate's degree in Early Childhood Education in 2006. I have worked with young children for 20 plus years now. I just recently enrolled in the Psychology program at Ivy Tech. I am hoping that once I graduate, with a second degree in Psychology that I will be able to become a child counselor or psychiatrist child psychiatrist. I would love to work one on one with children in need!

100% of 1 Pros
Updated Translate

martina’s Answer

Hi, Psychology is such an exciting area! and so broad!...when I originally left school I wanted to go into career guidance but I went down HR/Recruitment route. I studied Psychology part time and it really helped. I thought I would go into clinical psychology then. There are so many avenues but you would probably need a Masters to go into clinical or other areas. My advise would be to work first in some areas to know what you're interested in , as it takes a lot of dedication, money and time to go through your studies and then find out its not for you...Best of Luck!

Updated Translate

Ariel’s Answer

You could definitely go into school psychology, school counseling or being a school-based behaviorist depending on your interests. These are all Masters level careers that require additional credentialing. School psychologists give and analyze assessments to then present patterns of strengths and weaknesses to the IEP team. They also provide recommendations to the team to help bring the student up in any deficit areas. They also do counseling services if it is written into a student's IEP. School/guidance counseling is more 1:1 counseling based in a school system, while being a behaviorist has much to do with conducting functional behavioral assessments and assisting school teams with the development of behavior intervention plans and strategies. Hope this helps!