I am Majoring in Accounting and I am struggling with my Accounting courses.

6

I am in my third year of university and I have to decide before it 's too late. I am planning to switch my major in Accounting into minor and major in international business. I need some advise regarding the employment of my chosen minor and major. Moreover, I need guidance if I am making the right decision.

Thank you #accounting

6

Gulshan’s Answer

0
Bahara,

Any advice you get here must be adjusted with your temperament, aptitude, interests and opportunities you're willing to attempt for. Talent can be developed but to be truly successful, your choice of talent development works better when aligned with your inherent skills.

For instance, Accounting folks are expected to be good with numbers - I would disagree with that, that's not necessarily required anymore. Instead, today Accounting is more geared towards a hunger and capability to digest facts and convert statements into numbers - and vice-versa. You must have an inherent capability to interpret business transactions into their monetary impact. Of course, there are numerous offshoots of Accounting available today - especially, considering the fact that newer products are always coming up and need to be monetized and valued. Forensic accounting is another sterling field that's never going out of favor. Bitcon accounting is bleeding edge, almost fringe - for now, but goes to show the possibilities that the future holds. None of that, of course, takes away from classic accounting roles.

Best would be to try and find someone in the field who you can talk to. Look out for local or nearby employment fairs, and go and talk to professionals. Many employers welcome interns, use the opportunity to find out what you're good at.

Having said all that, since you've said you've decided to change your major to Int'l Business, you'd surely know that the scope of International Business can be more widespread than purebred Accounting. By all means, go in for it if you believe you have a flair that you can develop into a talent, and not just a fascination or infatuation, driven by the glamor at times associated with the term International Business. It is easy to imagine a high-flying executive, traveling country to country, managing crises and solving all of them - that is a fictional concept and in reality, there's a lot of sweat and tears that goes into that sort of success.

In short, do what you are able to do to the best of your abilities and enjoy doing, not just what you feel you want or should or are told to do. It would be ideal if both approaches led you to the same goal, but that clarity (and luck!) doesn't come easy to most of us.

Don't expect to be able to make a magical first choice, and be willing to admit that a change may be the best next step. However, considering you've made a change in your choice of major, I believe that's a skill you're already comfortable with (!)

Good Luck!

Gulshan recommends the following next steps:

• Visit employment fairs to talk to recruiters
  • Visit job-sites like Glassdoor to hear from actual practitioners in your chosen field
  • Find out what you're good at, or at least what you believe you can develop as a talent and then aim to capitalize on that
0

Ern’s Answer

0
Hi Bahara:

I am sorry to hear you are struggling with your Accounting courses. It really depends on whether you understand debits/credits, the accounting equation, financial ratios, etc. If the basics topics make sense and it’s just that the exams are a bit difficult then I suggest sticking to it. I agree with Gulshan that accounting do not need to be good with numbers since now computer do all the work such as Excel or Quickbooks plus there is always a necessity for accountants for small, middle and large companies. Experience plays a big role in accounting, try to get an accounting internship even if it’s unpaid, just to learn if that is what you want to do or if it’s time to switch majors.

(P.S.: have you taken auditing or cost accounting, these courses are useful since they are specialized classes that match job titles such as “auditor” or “managerial accountant”)

Suerte,
E.S.

Ern recommends the following next steps:

• Quickly go back over the basics of accounting to confirm you know your debits/credits
  • Apply for accounting unpaid/paid accounting/bookeeping internships
  • Analyze if any specific course seems easier for you to understand, ex: financial, managerial, forensic, computerized accounting,etc.
  • Decide if accounting is for you or if its time for a change
0

Cherrelle’s Answer

0
Only you know if you are making the right decision. There is a healthy market for accounting/finance roles in global companies, which is where I could see the intersection of use for your chosen paths. I can’t speak to the abundance in your specific province but I‘m sure there are some. That said, your success is somewhat correlated to the level of enjoyment you have with the work you are ultimately doing. I would suggest you consider what you truly want to do and then why you are struggling. Do you not enjoy it and are doing something solely for prospects or do you enjoy it but the concepts are difficult, etc? Real world accounting isn’t necessarily as abstract or difficult as classroom accounting, just know that but you will need to be able to see a set of facts and determine a solution or method with the help of a team for guidance usually.
0

0
Definitely connect with your Career Center or University resource to identify what a switch would mean from a career standpoint for students at your school. Accounting skills gained are always a plus in business (a selfish opinion, but I think still true) due to them often being the foundation of any department you would work in. But as everyone else mentioned, only you can decide if it's the right decision for you - I also struggled with Accounting early on and managed to make a career of it; looking back though, I think my early struggles had less to do with a lack of interest in the topic, and more to do with growing pains going to university and trying to learn in a new way.
0

Kevin’s Answer

0
Based on my change of major as a Sophomore I recommend you first think about what is causing your doubt about finishing your degree with an accounting major. There are many options for people with both an accounting major and international business major. With an accounting major, you can get work in many areas that do not require a CPA. These include valuation work, project budgeting and management and so forth. Typically international business jobs will require knowledge of multiple cultures, macro economics and require some proficiency in a foreign language. It may be good to talk with your college career office to get advice on these paths given your courses to date.
0

0
Bahara,

Only you can know if you are running away from something rather than buckling down and conquering it, or, if you truly are on the wrong path. The more you can learn to meet obstacles head-on, the further you will go in your career. However, I like that you are changing it to a minor, rather than abandoning it altogether!

I don't know enough about either field to comment on the career prospects. Hopefully others will also answer your question.
0