What are the pros and cons of working for a non-profit?

I have worked within the educational field for the past decade. I am working towards obtaining my BS in Community Development, and want to see what my options may be, highly considering non-profit organizations #college-major #career #community #development #degree

5

Nathan’s Answer

Working for a non-profit comes with plenty of pros and cons for sure and can vary wildly depending on the non-profit's size, mission, and management.

I think the main pro is that your work is driven by a mission and you can really feel like your work has an impact. The main con would be that financially non-profits do not pay a lot and sometimes require a lot of hours of work per week. It's really important that you ask questions around work-life-balance and salary when looking into careers for non-profits.

0

Sharon’s Answer

The main “con” is a lack of financial security. Non profits often don't have leaders who understand business management strategies well and may make decisions that fulfill the mission but don't keep the organization fiscally healthy. Unless the non-profit has a really fat endowment, a turn in the stock market harms operating budgets.

The “pro” is you are working with passionate “true believers.” Since non profits pay less, those who primarily care about money will go elsewhere. Its great to work somewhere where the mission statement is lived.

0

Nicholas’s Answer

Pros are the fact that you're in it for a great cause and people all around the world are respectful of what you do for that organization. Cons are that if you're worried about making a lot of money, there are certain cap limits to how much that company can pay you. However, this can lead to great job opportunities in the future if you play your cards right

0

Alex’s Answer

Working for a non profit could give a good sense of pride and help people or a cause in need. Non profits really do have a lot of potential. Depending on the size of the non profit , things could get boring long term.

0

CARLA’s Answer

Hello,

Working for a non-profit is very rewarding. I would take in consideration needs in the surrounding
community where you work or live and pay attention to the needs in the area and what
organizations are available to fulfill those needs. Also it's good to have an interest or
passion in the area of your work, this helps you be more effective in your drive and work ethic.

Thank you for your advice. I think that the needs within a community would really help to steer my passion for my own personal career in terms of helping others. Gabrielle B.

0