Should I be stressing out about going in as undecided?

It's my first year, I have many scholarships but i am not devoted to a certain major. Should I just choose one or should I figure it out once I get there. #undecided

4

NATASHA’s Answer

I am an undecided advisor and I love it when students come to college with an open mind. Some schools pride themselves on every student being undecided, like Duke, and others schools will make it pretty hard to change into a major once you get there. I think you should be an undecided major so that you can have the resources and staff to help you decide on a major and once you are ready to change, they can tell you how.

The two things you NEED to do as an undecided major:
1) Keep your GPA as high as possible (so that you can switch into the major of your choice once you decide).
2) Take classes that you want to explore for a possible major (example: Intro to Psychology for a Psychology major, Intro to Journalism for Journalism major).

Hi Natasha: I like your list of things you need to do as an undecided major. Very good points. Sheila Jordan

0

Gloria’s Answer

Hi Cristy,

I actually knew my major when I went to college at 18. I did not graduate with that major. I wanted to write so I chose Journalism as a major. I even chose my university based on that major. However, I did not consider how competitive a project like that would be. So when you look at majors, learn as much as you can about what having that major entails. Consider majors that appeal to you. I am glad that you did not have scholarships that bound you to a specific major. That is a great gift to have the money for your use.

Since you are just starting your college experience, you should not feel a lot of pressure to decide on a major just yet. Most of your major work is done during your junior and senior year. I would suggest that you work hard on the general courses that you need to take at your university – English, History, Math, etc. I would also recommend that you challenge yourself with the elective courses that you take. If you do not really know what you want to major in, you should start to look in places where you have never looked. Take the elective that you don’t even know what it is. That will expose you to new experiences that may catch your attention.

I would also consider volunteering with different kinds of charities. Volunteering can sometimes put you into positions where you do jobs that you would not normally do. And hey, you might actually like them. You could be asked to do computer work, or customer service as a food bank, or painting a house.

Good luck on college and the search for your major,

Gloria

0

Sheila’s Answer

Hello Cristy:

There's no right or wrong answer to your question. Based on my personal experience, one of my young adults knew exactly what they wanted to major in and the other was still deciding after entering college and nailed it. I'd suggest that you look at your strengths, interests, what you are passionate about, etc. Those areas are good starting points for you to research.

Best of luck to you as you select a major.

~ Sheila

0

Priyanka’s Answer

I think you shouldn't stress out. As time goes by, you will learn what is best for you. I have seen few of my friends do that and currently they are very happy with their career.

0