How did you decide what you would like to major in?

6

College student finishing an advanced diploma looking to complete my degree. #college-major #major

6

Grace’s Answer

1
Hi Thea,

Great question! I faced the same struggle when I was in college. I wasn't sure of what to choose as my major, so I ended up taking almost every intro class (such as economics, political science, sociology, psychology) during my freshman year. I was conscious about not limiting myself to ones I thought I might not like.

I started to narrow down the ones I naturally enjoyed learning about, and started taking more classes in those areas. Personally, I enjoyed learning about the law and society, so I ended up majoring in Political Science and minoring in Sociology.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Grace
1

nicole’s Answer

0
I went to college as an undeclared major, since I had no idea what I wanted to do. I took classes in each type of field to get a feel for how I would fit in with each, and if I would enjoy doing that as my job each day. Just take classes in a bunch of different areas so you can see what appeals to you and what doesn't. After 2 years when you have to declare a major, you will def have a better idea of what has peaked your interest!
0

Sheila’s Answer

0
I would also recommend talking with people that already graduated from the major(s) you are considering. They can provide more context on the type of classes that you will take, the type of job you can do after graduation, potential career paths, etc. Universities and colleges should be able to put you in contact with alumni.

Also, you can always change your major once you are in school or even take a completely different career path after graduation. This is very common. For example, I did my undergrad in Production Engineering, my Masters in Business Technology Management and now I work in the cybersecurity field writing policies and development training materials.

Best of luck :)
0

Jennifer’s Answer

0
HI! Great question. I somewhat figured this out before college. I was interested in many things but my passion was design. I ended up taking a graphic arts class my junior year of high school and fell in love. After that I explored what could be a possible career based off my passions. From there I ended up finding Graphic Design.. and I just ran with it and still love it!
0

Suzanne’s Answer

0
Hello Thea,
This all depends on things that are of interest to you. I would like for you to consider healthcare in any capacity. As you might know, the world is experiencing a pandemic. There is a shortage of doctors and nurses.
If you are at all interested in science, then please look into a healthcare major.
Thank you,
Sue

https://blog.studentlifenetwork.com/2017/11/07/best-nursing-programs-canada-ranked-student-life-network-guide/

0

Mallika’s Answer

0
Hi Thea,

I would encourage you to first identify what interests you the most or what field you are passionate about? Also, what's your diploma in? Based on these, you can find different opportunities.
0

Ayesha’s Answer

0
Hello Thea,

Here are a few things you should think about when choosing a major:
1) What subjects do you enjoy? How does your major align with your interests?
2) What are the requirements to pursue this field?
2) Do you see yourself pursuing a career in the said field 5-8 years from now?
3) What is the current job market for your chosen major?
4) What will the job market for your chosen major look like by the time you graduate?

I would recommend you consider 3-5 potential majors and weigh the pros and cons of each major (as you see them) to help narrow your options.

Hope this helps!
0