Hope you are well. I am from Bangalore and graduated from PESIT with CS degree.I can help answer this to the best of my Knowledge.
If i had to do it from the start, I would take up a courses in computers. There are different tracks in cyber security( Risk and Governance, Threat and detection, Cloud security, application security, vulnerability management, Access management, Incident management to name a few....).
I would suggest the following:
1)Learn basics of computers/technology
2) Learn general security concepts( best is the Security Plus , as it covers all the concepts)
3) Understand basics of network
4) knowing a programming language goes a long way, as it helps in ease of analysis, automation is in great demand.
5) Attend conferences, join meet up, groups ( Ex:owasp), this will increase networking.
6) Read white papers
7) Read about few security tools
JFY: i was given an opportunity in cyber security because of my development of application background.
For a more brief answer I suggest the following:
Figure out what you like to do. Are you a fixer? Builder? Tinkerer? Why do you like information technology and what attracts you to cyber security.
1) Identify numerous areas of cybersecurity and pick an area of interest. If you don't know what's out there, start with looking on LinkedIn or via Google searches around "Cyber Security Professions." Investigate, among others, Penetration Testing, Incident Response, Network Administration, Network Engineering, Firewall Administration, End Point Protection, Intrusion Prevention, Intrusion Detection and Vulnerability Management.
2) Look into education with basic certifications focusing on A+, Network+ and Security+ -- All are CompTIA certifications.
3) Search job boards for entry level security positions with focus on SOC Analyst roles - this is a fantastic way to begin as you see a lot of different aspects of cyber security while filling one entry level role.
Good luck and check out my Podcast, I really think it will help you learn, grow and advance.
Good luck to you in your future Cyber Security endeavors, Marcus Barrett
This will open the most doors in my opinion. I would also consider earning a cyber-related degree and pursuing other certifications that make sense based on the specific type of job you want to do.
Need to study current security trends, tools and risks.
Cyber security is one of the most high demand prospect in IT with ever increasing threats .
Adding to other answers I would like to add here that we should have basic understanding in networking and programming domain.
You can refer videos for learning techs like Wireshark and Linux which will be the fundamental to build your career towards cyber security.
It's great to see you are passionate about Cyber Security.
Generic Answer: Computer Science Education would Help
To be More Specific you might need to think and explore the following topics
1. What aspects of CyberSecurity excite you
a. Like (Ethical) Hacking and figuring out vulnerabilities b. Protecting the System from (UnEthical) Hackers etc
2. Are you looking at long term preparation ( 3 to 5 years) of education or short term (like Certifications)
3. Choose a mentor from your contacts or I can connect you to professionals in this space?
All the best
Raja recommends the following next steps: