How do you find research opportunities that interest you?

4

Hanleigh’s Answer

Hi! Most graduate programs have a job database where faculty can post different opportunities that are available research positions. This would be a good way to get involved in the research. You can also use external job databases to find research opportunities. Also, it is a good idea to research faculty and their work to see which faculty are doing work that peaks your interest. The person you reach out to may not always say "yes", but they can point you in the right direction of someone who has an opening.

2

Jennifer’s Answer

Hi, Duna!

As the others have stated, using the resources available to you is a great starting point.

What are you interested in researching? At what level?
Who and what do you have access to? Where are your resources located? Look around you, talk to people you know and network.

Leave no stone unturned and think outside the box. There are lots of opportunities, even if you're creating those for yourself!

1

Ruth-Anne’s Answer

To springboard off Jennifer's answer, consider looking outside your own college if you attend a university. I participated in a research project in the College of Agriculture related to agricultural economics (agronomy) while I was an accounting major in the College of Business. The experience taught me how important it is to have a diverse team. My point of view brought a completely different perspective to the project because I knew very little about agronomy. In turn, I learned a lot about how to deal with enormous data sets.

I found the opportunity through talking to various professors. Someone knew someone else who knew the professor looking for assistance -- networking and flexibility to accept an opportunity outside my normal space brought this project to me. In addition, the experience lead to other research opportunities, one of which was in my own field.

Best wishes in identifying an opportunity!

0

Crystal’s Answer

Hello! I would also highly recommend watching TED talks in your subject area. There are some really great scientists out there talking about great topics in different fields including the medical field.

0