What difficulties have you faced as a social worker?

1

Just wondering #work #social

1

Karen’s Answer

0

As a profession, social workers are notoriously underpaid, similar to teachers. We are often asked to take on several additional job duties without a raise because the budget doesn't allow for it. I had heard this a lot going in to the field and decided that I was willing to move forward anyway. But I think it is important to realize that you will be paying just as much for your education as other majors but will more than likely not be compensated in the same way. Be realistic about what you will be able to make right out of graduation and plan accordingly.

Also, plan your practicum placements as strategically as possible in order to set you up on the career path you want. It is hard to break into an area that you have not worked in previously as they always prefer those with direct experience.

All this being said, being a social worker has been one of the most rewarding parts of my life and I am still so glad it was the decision I made.

0