With better cancer medications available, is a career in radiation therapy a good career to get into or is it slowing down?

I am starting college in the fall for pre-radiation therapy. Getting into a radiation therapy program is very difficult as they only take 7 student. So, I know that they are not graduating many therapists per year. Also, there are only 2 universities in my state that even offer the program. medicine healthcare therapy oncology cancer radiation cancer-research

3

Jennifer’s Answer

Radiation therapy for cancer continues to grow as an industry and as technical advances occur - such as, being able to specifically target smaller areas for radiation treatment without damaging surrounding tissues and structures and being able to target ‘moving’ targets like lesions within the lungs. Keep in mind, all types of cancers react (or do not react) to various therapies - chemo, radiation, etc. And some patients are not ‘surgical candidates’ meaning their type of cancer either cannot be safely removed or they are not healthy enough to have surgery. So treating cancer then goes to chemo or radiation therapy.
2

Misty’s Answer

There is most definitely always going to be a need for cancer related treatment until they find a cure so I would say that this is a good field to get into, however I would suggest a secondary medical concentration just as a backup. Alot of the premed classes do overlap and coincide with one another so I would definitely look into this as well. There are few areas that offer the radiation therapy as it is costly for patients however not so much a dying field. Just a few things to think about.

1