As a woman in a STEM career, am I more likely to get hired by an employer?

Asked Olympia, Washington

I was wondering how it compares for different genders. #stem #women-in-stem #stem-education

Lisa’s Answer

Updated Maplewood, New Jersey

I think the above answer may be confusing. Yes, women are under represented in STEM jobs. And YES, companies are looking to improve this gender gap. So, with a degree in Engineering or Computer Software Programming or Applied Mathematics, etc. you will NOT have difficulty getting job interviews. Also, entry level salaries are roughly twice the salaries offered to college graduates with Liberal Arts degrees.

Deborah’s Answer

Updated Burlington, Vermont

Going into STEM, especially engineering, is a great way to get a job. You'll find so many great options out there. You are trained with a career in mind. Many universities now provide extensive scholarships to get more women into tech programs (I benefited from one).

I found that hiring is predominantly based on skill set/qualifications. (Go kick some butt in school, and show the boys what equality looks like). If you work in hardware design, you have to outshine the guys who grew up with a cool dad with a machine shop--because there is an unstated cultural belief that women aren't machinists/tinkerers. (The master cnc user and shop manager at my current place is an amazing female engineer). Start making a portfolio (stack of pictures) of the cool projects you work on for fun, school, and jobs. Anything that shows hands-on skills will give you an edge.

Getting your work noticed and getting promoted can be hard. Sometimes I have to do more than 100% effort, which is annoying. You need a good manager, which aren't common (we tend to promote engineers to become managers, and they don't always have the people skills...nerds, go figure). Sexism will happen--document everything, get a boss to back you up, and find a good therapist. Work with good people and learn all you can. Then go work at other places with good people.

There are lots if job options in STEM. Only work at places that deserve to have you on their team. :)

Tricia’s Answer

Hi there, I agree with the above - companies are currently trying to close the gender gap. Unfortunately colleges are not producing enough good quality graduates in STEM subjects, particularly female graduates. As a result, you will certainly be in demand, but of course, your qualification won't be everything. It depends on the career you want, but absolutely, I would encourage anyone to consider a career in STEM, particularly girls. The opportunities are limitless as many of the roles for 10 years time don't even exist yet. If you're interested in it, go for it!

Nawal’s Answer

Statistically, Women presence in STEM fields is poor comparing to Men presence, and this is common to many countries. All girls are being encouraged to choose a STEM field for their studies, to increase that presence. You shouldn’t rely to being privileged as girl during recruitment, it will be surely linked to your competencies required by the recruiter. All what I can say is that stereotypes are not true, you can have a career in STEM.