Will my writing need to be good for med school?

6
6

Prit’s Answer

1
Hi Robert,

Read the first paragraph for a short answer and the rest for a more detailed view to your answer!

But that's truly a great question. Although I am not a medical student yet, I have plenty of experience working with physicians, communicating with medical students as peers and my own medical school admissions journey. I had a similar question as you earlier on in my premedical journey. I wondered if as a medical student and physician, "would we need to skilled in mathematics? ( since mathematics was one of my weaknesses)" . The simple answer is yes, we have to be good in many subjects like mathematics and writing, but only to a certain extent.

As a medical student and onward, you may have to analyze research articles using statistics/mathematics skills and you may have to or you may become interested to write you own research material. There is a whole somewhat modern approach to medicine called evidence based medicine where you will need good mathematical, critical thinking and writing skills.

The great news is that you'll have plenty of practice through your undergraduate courses, both basic major classes and premed classes such as required English course essays to science course lab reports, as well writing your admissions essays for medical school. You may also have practice in Medical school as well, but will depend on the medical school that you attend. Most of your focus will be on the sciences in medical school and also being able to show empathy towards your future patients. But being good at multiple subjects is a solid goal to live by as a future physician.

Goodluck Robert, I believe in you and your goals!

Prit recommends the following next steps:

• Talk to med students
  • Find other premedical students
1

Hanna’s Answer

1
Your writing skills need to be good as you go through college and med school. Do not feel discouraged however, just work on improving the skill.
1

Suddhasattwa’s Answer

1
Hi Robert, Yes your writing skill needs to be good and understanding for Med school
1

0
Writing high quality essays will be important for applying to medical school.

Once there, you won't be writing essays. You need to be proficient at effective verbal communication during rounds and case presentations. You will need to write concise accurate patient care notes.
0

Rahul’s Answer

0
What do you think your writing means to you.. does it represent you as a person.. and if it really is an important part of your identity, I am sure that you will accept it for what it's worth. And, I hope that people who truly respect will come to acknowledge it, as a part of your being.
0