Do colleges require you to live on campus your first year?

9
9

Gina’s Answer

0
Most colleges do not require you to live on campus--- however I would highly recommend it. Convenience, social interaction and sense of overall independence.
0

Riley’s Answer

0
I don't know about every single college, but mine did. At first, a lot of people were annoyed about this because they didn't want to be on campus but I think in the long run it was the better option. Being around fellow freshmen all the time builds a really strong sense of community and makes it super easy to make friends. People in my freshman dorm used to actually refer to it as summer camp because that's kinda what living there felt like!
0

Lauren’s Answer

0
Hi Henry,

I would say that the majority of colleges do not require you to live on campus your Freshman year. I've found from my own experience and through other friend's experiences that at some bigger colleges and universities it may be mandatory to stay on campus your 1st and sometimes your 2nd year. For reference, I went to Penn State University, a university with 46,000 undergraduates, and it was a required for us to stay on campus Freshman year. My friend went to Ohio State University, a school with 50,000 undergraduates, and it was a requirement for them to be on campus for 2 years.

I would recommend finding out those answers as soon as you can if that is going to affect which college you chose to go to.

Hope this helps!
0

Lauren’s Answer

0
Hi Henry,

Hope this helps!
0

Raquel’s Answer

0
Hi Henry! Most colleges *do not require* you to live on campus your first year, although living on campus does have its benefits, as Katherine suggested.

Every student's financial aid package/situation varies, thus, it is not common or fair for colleges to *require* this of their students. I commuted to school during my first year at UC Irvine, and I have many other friends who did so as well.
0

Agina’s Answer

0
It was not mandatory for me to live on campus for my first year. This could be because I attend a community college, but I find that there are many advantages and disadvantages to living on campus. There are many activities and events that you can be a part of when you live on campus. This will allow you to widen your horizons in a way and allow you to connect with more people. A major disadvantage of living on campus would have to be the cost. But, I definitely encourage you to live on campus if you have the means to do so.
0

Danielle’s Answer

0
Hi there! Many colleges in my state do require first-year students to live on-campus for their first full college year, after that, you have the choice to stay, commute, or move elsewhere. It all depends on where you are located and where you would like to go to college! I personally, never lived on campus and I found that saved me thousands of dollars and kept me focused. I was in and out of college in 3 years.
0

Blake’s Answer

0
Hey Henry,

It depends on the college. Some colleges do require you to live on campus, but some do not. It also depends if you are attending an out of state college.

Thanks,
Blake
0

Austin’s Answer

0
Hi Henry,

For many colleges, it isn't mandatory to live in the dorms for college but I know many highly recommend it. Personally, I would say if you have the opportunity and finances, you should consider it because it's a great way to meet students and build friendships. Getting a chance to meet classmates and build relationships by living together for a year will help with so many things in college including study groups or even future roommates.

So if you are able to, definitely look into dorming. While we each have our own experiences, more times than not those who decide to live on campus over commuting tend to get a little more out of college. I hope this perspective helps.
0

Katherine’s Answer

0
Most do, yes! Living on campus is a really great way to meet new people and often comes with a lot of perks like easy access to the dining halls, libraries, and classrooms. It's awesome being right in the center of where it's all happening!
0