How to get a head start in becoming a dietitian?

Asked Cheney, Washington

Hello, my name is Caitlin and I am going to be a sophomore in college. I just went and enrolled at Kansas state University and when I talked to my advisor she told me that this is a very competitive field. I have gone and job shadowed and I know this is exactly what I want to do. I just need some advice on how to get a head start. I want to be the best at my job. I'm just not sure what kind of things I could be doing now to help me in the future.
Thank you! #nutrition #dietitian #nutritionist #dietetics #diet

Jana’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas

Hi Caitlin,

I started late in the nutrition game and ended up becoming a nutritional consultant because I couldn't dedicate the time to becoming a dietician. I think it is amazing that you are on this path! Congrats! I would recommend exploring all of the different fields in nutrition. Most people don't look into plant based nutrition, which is actually a very important part of this industry and can give clients results that other doctors cannot achieve. I have worked with clients who are now cured from heart disease, fatty liver, and leaky gut from taking a plant based approach.

If you can intern with not only dietitians, but also health coaches I think you will get a very good understanding of what is really going on in this industry.

Marcela’s Answer

Updated Tampa, Florida
Hi, Caitlin. You already have one of the most important qualities to become a nutritionist, that is being passionate about it, when you want to be the best in what you do, you will not give up regardless of all the obstacles that you may encounter on your path. There is always a high level of competition in every single profession, not just in nutrition. I strongly believe passion for what you do in life, guarantees success. I encourage you to keep up your attitude towards your career. Since nutrition has several scopes of knowledge, it would be beneficial for you to attain information about each one so that you can make your decision about which one to pursue and get prepared with additional academic courses. I remember I wanted to work with the community since I began to study, that is why I improved my language skills, learned English, became familiar with technology and took advantage of every communication resource I was able to get. Keep studying hard, learn as much as you can and do not lose the focus. Best regards, Marcela M.