Would my education path be different if I want to be a Cosmetic Dermatologist instead of simply being a Dermatologist?

I was wondering if I purse being a "Cosmetic Dermatologist" would I have to take different classes than a normal dermatologist would. Or are the classes and majors the same. #medicine #health #cosmetology #cosmetics #dermatology #cosmetic

1

Ann’s Answer

Hi Mariana,

To have the title Dermatologist, and do the work a dermatologist does, you would need to go to medical school. However there are still options to get into the field without becoming a doctor. In the next steps, I have included a link with some information on a Skincare Specialist role. It will give you insights into the skills and training that you need. Take a look and let me know if this helps. Good luck!

Ann recommends the following next steps:

Check out this website: https://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/39-5094.00
Contact local colleges and technical schools to see if they have any certifications in this field.

0

Estelle’s Answer

No, extra training is not required. However, you do have the option of doing a cosmetic dermatology fellowship after derm residency if desired.

Dermatologists require the following training:
College Degree
4 years of medical school
1 year internship (usually in internal medicine)
3 years of derm residency

This is a competive field. You would have to be at the top of your med school class to match into dermatology.

0