sana B.’s Avatar

sana B.

524

7

How do I get better at math?

I'm in 9th std in India and would like to know how to get better at math. #mathematics #math #higher-education #education

You can get better at math by following two paths: understanding the concepts very well, and practice applying them to problems to hone your math skills further. The more you practice, the better you become. For the first path, to understand the concepts very well, you need to branch beyond what's assigned in school. You can look online for resources relevant to your studies, and see different ways people try to explain these concepts. The more you read about these concepts, the more your mental model of them improves. For the second path, take your understanding, and apply it to solving math problems, either assigned ones, or others that you can think of. Practice makes perfect here, the more you attempt solving problems, the more your understanding of these concepts deepens. Third you can branch out, and try to learn more on your own. You can look at modern algebra, calculus, differential equations, number theory, etc, whatever grabs your interest. By branching out, you'd discover gaps in your knowledge, and fill them, and get better over time. Good luck!
Last updated Oct 18 '17 at 10:20 PM
Hello Sana, Improving your math abilities takes practice. If you have access to tutors, study guides, internet (via youtube.com), or the library you can use those resources to enhance your math skills. It has been my experience that practicing math problems from various textbooks and taking online math test can enhance your test taking strategies and problem solving abilities. I also found that watching videos of instructors solve the problems help me to visualize over and over again several techniques. Good Luck! #math #strategies
Last updated Oct 24 '17 at 11:13 PM