I've heard that the colleges we attend affect the hiring process when we graduate. How do I tackle this problem?

JULY20 colleges hiring_process
I’ve recently graduated from LaGuardia Community College and I’ve applied to 4 different CUNY universities for transfer. Many people tend to go to big and renowned universities like MIT, Harvard and many more. How do I get a leg up if I didn't attend one of these big name schools?

4

Beth’s Answer

Hi Babita, For the vast majority of majors, the college you attend doesn't matter as much as how well you did and that you completed your degree. You can network at smaller schools, although it may take a little more effort. Focus on a good school that is strong in your major and don't be too concerned about the name. Most college graduates don't attend Harvard, MIT, or Yale.
1

Darin’s Answer

Actually Babita the only thing your paying for with big name universities is the elite of having a degree from a big name college, and maybe networking opportunities, but that's really it. You'll get the same level of education at a big name as if you were to go to some other school. Really though the thing that some potential employers look for is not big name schools but that you can demonstrate what you learned, the type of major you earned and that you have the ambition to want to succeed.
1

Rebecca’s Answer

Hi Babita,

That's a really insightful question. While the other answers are correct in saying it doesn't matter where you went to school, what matters is your degree, the part that doesn't cover is the recruiting opportunities. What I mean by this is that depending on the job and career you are hoping to go into, the bigger named companies may not be recruiting on your campus. However, this doesn't mean you can't still end up where you want to be. It might involve a little more legwork and networking on your own.

I would talk to your professors and see if they have networks or relationships with businesses based on their research areas or past careers. I would also leverage LinkedIn to see if you have any connections already at companies you are interested in. The important thing is getting a foot in the door and having someone who can help advocate for you.

Additionally, I would focus on trying to secure an internship or job shadowing opportunity in a field you are interested in. This way you can put actual job experience on your resume which speaks volumes more to an employer than the school you went to. I was always told when I was in undergrad that the school you went to only matters for getting your first job and after that it is all about you, your work experience, and references from then on.

You got this!
0

Beth’s Answer

0