How do I know that majoring in Chemistry is right for me?

4

When I was a sophomore I took chemistry and I actually really liked it. Now going into my last year of high school I’m taking AP Chemistry and I hope it gives me an idea if Chemistry is the right fit for me. Learning about what chemistry is made me wonder so much about how so many things we use have chemistry involved. How do you know the major you choose is the right fit for you? #career-counseling #chemistry #majors #july20

4

Kevin’s Answer

0
A college major is important because it provides a framework for your studies to develop specific skills. In my experience hard science majors - chemistry, physics, biology - develop skills that can cross over into many professional pursuits.

I've been impressed with colleagues with hard science educational disciplines because they seem to be able to quickly understand the 'big' picture as well as the 'small' picture.
-The understanding of how to conduct an analysis and create an easy to understand summary.
-Expertise in applying the scientific method
-"Systems Thinking"

Learning is a life long process and a college degree is an opportunity to learn and demonstrate capabilities you can leverage to build a career. Hard science majors such as Chemistry will ensure your education has rigor in math, science, conducting experiences and communicating the logic of a hypothesis. These skills are excellent skills for many professions including: Doctor, Lawyer, Business Person, Engineer, Educator and many others.
Thank you for responding to my question! Claudia G. Translate
Claudia, good luck with your decision. Studying something you enjoy that enables you to improve and expand your personal skills is a great way to get value out of education. I studied History and my objective was to improve my written communications skills and improve my ability to synthesize information and make concise and compelling conclusions. I could have used numerous other majors to build this skill and I enjoyed learning about history. Kevin Klas Translate
0

Tia’s Answer

0
Hi Claudia! I can give your my perspective. In high school I knew I wanted a career in health profession because I enjoyed helping people. In college I majored in Biology, but I fell in love with chemistry. I was a general and organic chemistry college tutor for 2.5 years. I enjoyed chemistry so much that I decided to pursue a career in pharmacy and I have been in the profession for 15 years. I have a Biology degree that I will never use my degree at least in my current pharmacy career. I have friends who are working as physicians but majored in English and electrical engineering in college. Choose a major based on your interests or what career you hope to obtain in the future. But understand that interests and future careers changed so you may have to go on a different course that is not related to your major.

0

Gustavo’s Answer

0
Hey, Claudia. I hope you're okay.

I'm gonna tell you what happened to me and it made me a chemistry enthusiast. Maybe that'll help you in your decision making.

When I was a kid, I used to mix medicine, ointments, cosmetics, and macerate my grandmother's plant branches all together in the pot where she made coffee and then set it on fire. Kkkkkkk I was always like that as a child, science always caught my attention, and when I remembered these childhood episodes with these chemicals I thought, the answer is in front of me, just respect what life has been telling me since I was a child.

That's how I got into chemistry school, that's always been a part of me. If you, like me, are an enthusiast of chemistry and have been feeling it since your first contact with chemistry, then I think it's worth going deeper and seeing how beautiful chemistry school is and how it presents various possibilities of action.

I hope I've helped you. Stay safe, my best regards!
0