How can a beginner improve their editorial skills?

Would you please tell me who is, if there is such an individual, the world's most renown editor in the world. One that deals with literature, and most preferable blogs and articles in the topics of finance and education.

If there's no such thing, would you be kind enough to point me to some resources that would fast track my growth in performing editorial functions excellently, from a beginner's level.

Thank you (Tehee).
#july2020 #editor #editorial-writing #ceo #worldclass

HI Emmanuel, I rephrased your question slightly so that it was clearer what you were asking Gurpreet Lally

5

Tyson’s Answer

Well some others have given you names and suggestions. I'll add mine and let you decide.
What I did was take some journalism classes to learn about editing. Then keep reading the blog or books you want to edit so you can start to understand the styles that are being used.
After that, the best way to get some experience to try tl find some cooperative ed jobs or volunteer jobs where you develop skills. From there you can start editing career.

0

Soné’s Answer

Hi Emmanuel. It is great to see a fellow South African on this site, and I am happy that you reached out on this forum.

I have had the privilege of working with great colleagues at the University of South Africa who were the editors of a research ethics book. These colleagues, one a professor and the other a research integrity manager, taught me a lot during the process of writing a chapter with them for the book. I would recommend that you start following editors of books or publications that you enjoy, in order to see their other pieces of work and whether they might present workshops. Professor Kobus Wessels is an editor of a number of books in the education and public administration fields.

Soné recommends the following next steps:

Start following one editor whose work you enjoy on LinkedIn, and/or search for additional publications by that editor. Remember that Google Scholar is a great search tool for such publications.

0

Tina’s Answer

There are many top notch editors. Best place to look are the big publishing companies and those working with popular writers.

Hi Tina, what are some big publishing companies the student should start looking into? Gurpreet Lally

Rereading his question, I have a better answer. For financial editors, he should google "financial editors." Same for "education editors." These searches will give him the best/top editors in the financial sectors. Then he can visit websites that have blogs and those with articles. One thing to look for is that "editor" also means computer software that helps with editing. Those sites he should skip. Let me know if you need more assistance with this. Tina Winograd

Thank you for that response! Gurpreet Lally

0

Marrit’s Answer

"Most reknowned" is debatable, but I would recommend Benjamin Dreyer, who is the copy chief at Random House. He's got an excellent book, a lively Twitter, and a board game. http://www.benjamindreyer.com/

0