what do employers look for when it comes to hiring a director/producer?

Asked Apopka, Florida

I want to be an NFL director/producer and I feel that I should probably have a background that impresses a employer. #television #director #producer #employer-relations #tv-production #television-producer

Lauren’s Answer

Updated Atlanta, Georgia

Aside from know the sport, the rules, the stats (current and historical), you need the experience. From my experience in sports - you start as a production assistant, move to graphics, move to associate director, and so on. So you'll have to work your way up but getting internships or freelance jobs in the sports productions around your area would get you the best experience.

I would suggest getting involved with any productions that take place on your college campus. Reach out to ESPN/ESPN U and see if you can production assist on local sports productions. Try your local news channels too - they have sports departments.