The college I will attend in the Fall wants me to be a "walk on" for track. I never requested to participate in sports.; I would like to concentrate on my studies. Should I do it, or should I concentrate on my studies?

I was the 2015 State Champion for JV Girls Cross Country (Independent Schools). I also hold my school's record for the 400 meter event. I need more scholarships, but I really want to concentrate on my studies. I do not want to lose the scholarships I already have.
#college #career #college-admissions #running #college-advice

4

Time management is key if you want to do sports and still get good grades.

Go to class. Plan to spend 2-3 hours studying for every hour of lecture. Attend your professor's office hours and any TA review sessions. If there is a test bank, use that as a study tool to understand what your professor wants you to focus on for the test.

Treat school like a job. Get up early, get to work and when your work is done at the end of the day, you can spend time on demanding extracurriculars like track.

0

Kelly’s Answer

If you are passionate about running, walking-on is a great option for you. It is a great way to meet people and to stay active your freshman year. If you decide that it is taking away from your studies, you can always "quit." Yes, it is an option! Trust me. This is the best piece of advice I received.

On the flip side, if running doesn't bring you happiness, you should focus on your studies and spend your spare time doing what makes you happy. Don't feel pressured to walk-on just because they asked you to.

I hope this helps. I received a track scholarship and gave it 110% despite soccer being my true passion. At a point, it was doing me harm and other's noticed. The second my parents told I could "quit," a weight was lifted off my shoulders. You need to do you and don't live with regrets.

0