Do surgeons of the future have much scope?

Does surgery (by people) have much scope? Won't it most likely be replaced by automated machines which can do a much more accurate work?
#surgery #robotics #career #surgeon

8

I'm a biomedical engineer that designs medical equipment. I can assure you surgeons are not going anywhere. The benefit of a robot/machine type surgery is it does much more precise/delicate work than the doctor can do by hand. Robot/automation/machines in medicine are another tool in the toolbox of a surgeon to ensure positive patient outcomes.

Thanks for clearing my doubt, Michael! Samyukta S.

2

Estelle’s Answer

Yes, surgeons of the future will still be operating in a variety of ways. I use robotics to perform hysterectomies. This technology is helpful, but in no way replaces the necessity of the surgeon.

0

Anum’s Answer

The automated machines would still require a hands on surgeon, it would just make things easier for the surgeon and bring huge improvements in the field of surgery and positive outcomes in general. But the surgeons will not only never be obsolete, but will always be in high demand. And another thing, not all hospitals everywhere would be able to afford theses high tech machines for a long long time, not unless they become extremely common practice and are easily available to hospitals and clinics with low funds as well. It is a long road to there.
And there is always the benefit and an unspoken need of human interaction and the doctor patient relationship which plays a vital role in the patients care and treatment. So in a nutshell, surgeons are going to be in very high demand for the very long foreseeable future no matter how many machines are made. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice Anum! Samyukta S.

0

Julietta’s Answer

Samyaukta,

Surgeons are not going anywhere so do not worry about that whatsoever! Machines will definitely be getting more advanced as time goes on, but they are not always reliable. I work with many different machines and they are always breaking down or having many glitches. Surgeons will always have a high demand when it comes to job outlook. We need that human interaction now and in the future. They may have a different role in 20-30 years but Educated doctors are always a need within the world.

Thanks for answering Julietta! Samyukta S.

0