what career would be best for me ?

I am a high school senior & I’m not sure what career I want to do but I enjoy typing, writing, and solving problems. #high-school #career #motivation

8

Donna’s Answer

Dandya;

Making a career choice is scary, but no one can make that choice for you but yourself. As a senior the pressure is on for you to make a decision, get applications into colleges, etc.. Where are you with all of that?

If you are unsure, here are my suggestions:

Talk to your school counselor and take some of the career and personality assessments. It will help give you direction in your decision. College offers many opportunities in today's society, but it is not the be all end all. Trade schools are other options. If you have the drive and desire to make a name for yourself, there are many online opportunities to do freelance work for individuals and companies.

If you are still unsure and not confident in a decision. Think about military service. You will take the ASVAB test and it will assess your job strengths and weaknesses. When you go to MEPS, they will offer you several different career fields, choose one and the military will train you and employ you in that field. That being said, the military allows you to experience independence and many job fields in a controlled environment. After your initial enlistment you can decide to stay in or get out and go to college or pursue a career as now you have significant job skills, have demonstrated leadership traits, and will have greater confidence in yourself.

A word of caution at MEPS. Recruiters are salesman in a sense of the word. They have quotas to meet and their objective is to fill some of the less glamorous jobs as well as the highly sought after. When you are making decisions and signing contracts, make sure it is what you want for the next four years of your life. You are not in the military at that point, and you can walk out of there and make other decisions in your life if what they offer does not sound like something you would be happy with.

I myself took this route. Worked as an electronic repair/installation technician. Stayed in for 10 years. Now work as an engineer in telecommunications and in the process went to college and got my bachelors degree. I have mentored and seen several youth take the military path. Some stayed in, married and are raising families. Others got out and are going to college or have successful careers. And yes, there are those that got out and are still struggling - but that comes down to poor decisions and actions on their part.

Donna recommends the following next steps:

https://www.yourfreecareertest.com/
take personal inventory in yourself and your desires and aspirations
talk to other people and ask them how they got to where they are today. What was thier decision path

0

James’s Answer

Those are some great skills and interests. Career paths can be quite different depending on how much if any post high school education/training you are considering. One area that I think could fit your interests and span different levels of education is the field of executive assistants through to chiefs of staff. An executive assistant at the right level is doing a lot of interesting and valuable work - they are more like a teachers assistant; doing some of the work of the teacher and instructing students at times, etc. Then there is the related chief of staff role, which differs depending on the company, but it is like combination of an executive assistant and a chief operating officer. Hopefully that will give you some things to consider. Good luck!

0

Donna’s Answer

Dandya;

https://www.yourfreecareertest.com/

0

Karen’s Answer

Have you thought of being a Product Design Researcher or know anything about that? A friend who does that for a living said she interviews customers who use her company's products, understands paint points they are facing, and comes up with ideas to solve those problems. You'd be able to type notes when listening to the customer, write up ideas, and solve customers' problems. Hope that helps!

0

Evan’s Answer

If you enjoy writing, typing , and solving problems then you should research what career paths you can go down using those skills and what education is needed for those positions you are interested in from there. You may want to look at transcription or coding if you enjoy typing and or problem solving.

0

Crystal’s Answer

Typing, writing, and problem-solving opens up a world of options for you. Writer, programmer, researcher, transcription, HR, law, etc. In terms of narrowing down career choices, I suggest doing internships, shadowing and talking to people in careers of interest. Try to identify what you like and dislike about the roles since careers are much more complex than just study topics. Best of luck!

0

Yijing (Jenna)’s Answer

Good skillsets - if you like help other people and would like to start your career after the high school - maybe you can start with some document writing, or admin/office assistant.

If you are thinking to go to college, there are a lot of majors can be built on your current skill set.

0

Craig’s Answer

Good combination, maybe you can help people with writing material or in IT support?

0