I’m on my final year in bachelor of computer science and I’m having a cgpa of 3.1 . What should I do after graduate?

I think I already ruined my future . Is there anything I can do to become a developer? #bachelors-degree #computer-science #jobs

10

Scott’s Answer

Honestly, I don't think your GPA matters as much as your ability to show what you know. If you can show examples of work that you've done or applications you've built, that will impress employers more than a GPA. And, by examples, I'm talking about the actual code. Have your code available in a repository that you can share with future employers. And be sure that you can communicate what your code is doing.

Also, a great resource that will help you prepare for developer interviews is http://www.crackingthecodinginterview.com/ (I don't work for them, I have just heard it's a great resource).

If you can show an employer what you know and work hard to prepare for your developer interviews I think your future looks very bright.

Scott recommends the following next steps:

Create public repositories of code you've written to show what you know
Study for developer interviews with a resource like http://www.crackingthecodinginterview.com/

6

Kaan’s Answer

Let me answer the question from more of a technical perspective. First, forget about the GPA.

Go for the subject or field you have passion for or just you like the most. Lets take programming. What languages you learned and which is your favorite, which one do you like more, or more proficient at? Java, C/C++, Python, SQL? Have you done any scripting? How about Javascript along with a little bit web development? Any lab assignments, class projects, intern work? Do you like databases or networking more? Algorithms? Do you remember shortest path, how about bubble sort?

Apply for jobs that require what you are good at the most and/or passion for. Show that in the interviews. Sometimes willingness is valued a lot more than experience. For instance if you are good at or just love Java, go for it, apply for Java development positions at the entrance level. If there is no entrance language requirement then see if it is more like database programming, network programming, or more heavy on algorithms and analysis. If it is what you are go for it, tell the employer about what you can do in that field. Lets say the role requires good SQL knowledge along with some high level language that does not matter that much. If you are the SQL person, use it, tell them and show them what you did and if given the opportunity what miracles :) you can create with it. Most of the time, combination of these are necessary but if you can prove your strength in one of them, you can be assigned to that piece and then grow into others once you are landed on the job.

1

Lizzie’s Answer

At many companies, GPA does not matter. I did not tell companies what my GPA was when I applied, and I kept it off my LinkedIn and resume. Just keep practicing for technical interviews, practicing LeetCode and Cracking the Coding Interview, and building projects for your GitHub. Recruiters and employers will be impressed by what you can build.

0

Sunny’s Answer

Hi Muhammad,

I think you are doing a great job on finishing your degree. I have heard math courses in computer science degree are very difficult and you are almost in the home stretch. That proves that you are persistent and resilient in challenging situations. Once you graduate, you can expand your dreams to become a developer.

There are a lot of opportunities for software developers in a job market. I would suggest to join the job fair or honor societies to gather more information about your jobs. Especially honor society is a great place to meet professionals and find prospective job opportunities.

I wish you all the best!

0

Ed’s Answer

You definitely haven't ruined your future with that GPA. The question is - do you still want to stay in computer science? Do you have a passion for it? This is one of the most highly sought after job professions, so being able to show your skills in a particular area should land you a good job. Note that some company filters may knock you off the list with a lower GPA. That is OK. Find folks in the industry. Find a recruiter on linked in that might be looking for new hires. Go to some hackathons and get to know some folks there and look for some word of mouth openings, or win the hackathon and make a name for yourself, and put it on your resume.

Ed recommends the following next steps:

Work with a career counselor at your college
Participate in some hackathons and continue to build your skills

0

Jennifer L.’s Answer

Hi, Muhammad,

First of all, you definitely did not ruin your future; it is bright and still ahead of you. Second, your GPA matters less to an employer than the skills you bring to the table.

Focus on your passion; and if it is in software development, build upon that. What experience do you have at this point? If none, perhaps speak with your college counselor on what opportunities there are to gain that experience. Talk to people you know in the field - ask for side projects. Speak with a trusted professor.

Rarely do associates work in the field in which they studied directly. Show your passion; bring your enthusiasm and do what you love in your career.

Jennifer L. recommends the following next steps:

Speak with a trusted professor or career counselor at school
Seek opportunities that fuel your passion for software development

0

kim’s Answer

Focus on you and your path. When meeting perspective employers -- be honest and share the steps you have taken to move forward. It is an important life skill to be able to move past setbacks - especially setbacks of our own making. Own your mistakes but always look forward. I agree with Jennifer L's next steps.

0

Zhe’s Answer

Hi Muhammad,

To become a developer, GPA is not the most important thing. Coding skills are more important than GPA. You should have a good knowledge in data structure and algorithm. You can go to websites like leetcode, focus on only one programming language to solve these problems. After finish around 2-3 hundreds of the problems on leetcode, you will become an expert in this language and get a deeper understand of algorithms and data structures. These are the more import things when you have an developer interview.

Wish you the best!

0

Judi’s Answer

Your GPA is not as important to a prospective employer as are your skills and what you have delivered in recent past that has relevance to the job you are applying for (could be class work), volunteer work, or a new certification or a side job.

Also use your personal network. They know your work ethics and can get you an interview that a gpa could never do on its own. It is all about your contacts.

And finally, I’ve interviewed quite a few developers while in past roles and the ones that got the job were persistent (not a stalker), had prepped before the interview to already know what my company delivered, and could speak to how they could successfully perform the job.

You will be just fine!

0

Arvinth’s Answer

Like the others have said, your CGPA does not determine your future! In fact I graduated with a computer science degree with a lower CPGA than you and am now working as a Software Engineer at Salesforce.

If software development is something you are truly interested in, focus on doing side projects and attending virtual hackathons. Thats how I learned most of the software development skills I have today. I'd say my undergraduate degree in computer science was a good basis, but the things I did outside of that is what helped me land software development internships and my now full time role.

Apply for jobs that you are passionate about, and express your willingness to learn during your interviews. Software development is about continuously learning, and if you can show that I'm sure you will have no problem landing a good job!

Arvinth recommends the following next steps:

Find a framework or area of software you interested in learning (Flutter, Angular, React, Android Development, etc.)
Start a side project (create a website, iOS app, Android app, etc.)
Attend hackathons
Apply to entry level positions

0