Starting career

So I am almost finished with my second degree which is a Computer sciences and Software engineering and before I finished a BBA.
I have some work experiences as a backend developer but miss the personal contact with people and was thinking to go into project management/consulting. However I am not sure if this fits what I really want I know that I'm more into the big picture instead of very detailed, prefer to take actions instead of thinking to long about something and am a quick lerner furthermore I have many interests and one of them is still Finances. Because of the many interest it makes me a bit confused where to start and to find what I'm really interested in, I already know in which field I will work in the future, I will always give 200% of my time. It would be great if someone could give some tips. Besides I'm 27 years old. Thanks a lot! #tech #engineering #career #knowledge

7

Kellie’s Answer

Hello Mei,

You have done a great deal of preparing for working in the technology industry and this is an industry that is fast paced and very much cutting edge. In this industry as a Project Manager there are a wide number of people and levels you will be involved with. You will learn a great deal more than you realize. I would say that this would be a great starting point.

Leadership and Development programs are also a great way to network and build on your leading skills or determine if this is the right fit for you. Some of us are better doer's and are happy with that and the industry needs doer's. A good leader is also essential, especially in a remote environment industry, as the way technology is going.

There are many opportunities in CS and Technology, wish you the best of luck!

0

Nicole’s Answer

Hi Mei W.

Wow, from your question and comments, sounds like you are ready to go!! :) That energy will be a great advantage to you as you start your career.

In addition to the great advice already offered, I suggest to you that whatever job you land, begin to deepen your skill set around understanding the problems that need fixing. Often times, building this type of skill set also includes learning how to build trust and partnerships with others, which then can open up opportunities to solve bigger and higher valued problems (business problems, environmental problems, social...a limitless list in my view). You likely will learn new tools and process that will also be of value in your everyday job or beyond.

Passion, which based on your comments, it seems like you have, will go along way. If you pair that up with strong execution, I suspect you will have a sustained and successful career, wherever that may take you.

Best of luck to you!

0

Sonal’s Answer

Hello Mei,

I would say having good academic background & working as backend developer experience is good start. It's ok to have multiple interests & try hands at various things until you find something that appeals you to stay longer. I would suggest you you to take up some certification like PMP, Prince2 or go for internship where you are explore project management bit.
Plus points -
- Having software development background will definitely help you to understand & address challenges that team faces during delivery of project.
- Handling project Finance will also be critical part which you might enjoy as it is your interest area.

Sonal recommends the following next steps:

Go for project management certifications like PMP, Prince2
Try exploring Service Management space - you can start with ITIL v4 foundation

0

Rickey’s Answer

Hello Mei,

I think its great that you already have a sense of what you like to do. Since you said you enjoy working with people and seeing the big picture, I would highly recommend that you get into internships, management trainee programs or leadership development programs and reach out to people on sites like LinkedIn to talk to them about how they got to where they are.

Since you are almost finished with a second degree in Computer Sciences or Softwrae Engineering, I'd also recommend looking into project management as potential option. You would be working with people, seeing things from both a big picture and detail point of view and your always learning as a project manager.

If you ever have more questions about project management please let me know as I am working as a project manager. However, please exercise your options as there is a ton of other disciplines within Computer Scinces/Software Engineering available these days.

I wish you well!

Hello Rickey that is a really great idea, I didn't came to that myself. Thanks for the insight. I just noticed myself that I'm more into business perspective than the software perspective. I was thinking of Project mangement already for a while. Would it be fine for you that I will add you to my linkedin Profile and ask you some personels questions there? Mei W.

0

Cameron’s Answer

Hi Mei,

Based upon your education/work experience, you may find a successful career in Sales Engineering as well. It provides the social interaction you are looking for, but also requires someone technically minded. It is a career where you have a wide range of responsibilities from conducting demonstrations, proof of concepts, and helping customers define and refine their technical requirements. I hvae found it to be incredibly rewarding career for myself. It is a unique field working with a wide range of customers with a broad set of use cases and requirements. Every day is new and exciting.

Sales Engineering also offers plenty of options for advancement. Many sales engineers have gone into either a leadership/management role, or into deeper technical roles, including Product Management. Good luck in your career search!

0

Diana’s Answer

Hello Mei,

It is great hearing about all of your interests. Taking time to work in some of these areas may help you bring focus to your strengths. You may want to apply for internships or management training programs to allow you to test your skills and also determine if you are truly excited about the work.

Thank you for your suggestion! I might be also shy regarding my skills or not so confidence because I believe that there are always others which are better and where I can learn from and I really find it difficult to find out what really excites me to work. I really want to find my true purpose as well as my passion, which I believe can be combined personaly as well as professionaly. Mei W.

0