What does it take for me to be a basketball player?

Of course I know how to play the game of basketball, I've just been scared to express myself and get physical with other players. You can say that I am scared in a way. I play amazing in front of my friends but, with people I be scared and crazy nervous. I want to learn how to express myself on and off the court. #professional-sports, #basketball

3

Samuel’s Answer

Hi Akarrus!
It's great that you've identified the goal of becoming a better and more confident basketball player. Although extremely difficult to reach the highest levels, striving to achieve this valuable goal will help you learn so much about confidence building, your learning style, and the importance of preparation that you can use in every aspect of your life.
Lisa and Michael made great recommendations to play the game as much as you can. Play everyday, whether by yourself or with friends, play everyday for any amount of time. My next recommendation would be to list out all the things it will take to be great then explain how you'll try to improve in each way. For example, if one goal is to play everyday, you can explain that you'll pick some days to play with friends and some days to workout by yourself and work on the finer details of the game. Another example would be trying to understand the game and increase your Basketball IQ (Intelligence). You could achieve that goal by reading books and listening to videos/podcasts to hear some of the greatest players and their story or approach to basketball.
A few books come to mind that could help build your confidence and understanding: Mamba Mentality by Kobe Bryant and Relentless by Tim S. Grover. Hearing how to succeed from the greatest players of all time will certainly benefit you.
Always remember - the more you know, the more confident you'll become.
Good luck and I hope this helps!
Sam

0

Lisa’s Answer

Confidence plays a HUGE part in competitive sports.

Do you play on your school team or an AAU team? That is really where you start to build confidence in your skills.
The stronger you get, the less you will fear the physicality of the sport. My son plays basketball and when he realized he was just as strong as many of the other boys on the court, he began to play much more aggressively.

If you are serious about playing basketball, you have to take the steps to train, play on a team, practice on your own, learn the intricacies of the game, master the basics, take care of your body (eat properly and work-out (that includes lifting weights)). Being an elite athlete requires a great deal of sacrifice. If you really want it, go for it but understand, it requires a lot of work. As do most things worth having.

Good luck to you!

0

Hi,

I recommend you train, hit the gym, and get stronger. You should play with your friends and with other kids. Try being physical playing with other kids at a park. The more you try to be physical with other kids in a non competitive place like a park you will gain more confidence.

Keep trying. You will get mire confident. Over time you won't have to think about this anymore. It will be natural

0