2 answers
Asked Viewed 78 times Translate

What's the best College to get the best knowledge for being a marriage and family therapist/

+25 Karma if successful
From: You
To: Friend
Subject: Career question for you
100% of 2 Pros

2 answers

Updated Translate

Cynthia’s Answer

There are so many options for people who want to become a marriage and family therapist (MFT). In the past, people had to attend an in-person university. Now people can obtain a master's in marriage and family counseling online. There are accredited schools that are excellent and provide all of the necessary course requirements for those wanting to become an MFT. Some universities offer students the option of attending in-person classes as well as some online coursework as well. I think these are great as they give students a choice. Others are completely online and all classes are done via an online learning platform. I think it is important for you to decide what works best for you. Particularly with COVID issues over the past year, online education has become crucial for students in order to continue with educational goals in spite of in-person classrooms. In terms of school accreditation, CACREP is the gold standard for counseling programs.

CACREP stands for the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, and it is the premier accrediting body for determining the quality of a graduate counseling program. In a nutshell, CACREP develops and maintains standards and procedures that ensure students in counseling and related programs receive high-quality, relevant education that prepares them for licensure and success in professional practice.

I would look for a program that has been approved for this type of accreditation.

Updated Translate

Jennifer’s Answer

Becoming a therapist requires a Masters degree, so I would suggest going to a college that allows you to be successful in earning a bachelors degree in the field you are passionate about. I majored in Human Development and Family Studies and minored in Counseling. Counseling is not a major anywhere since you need a Masters for it. After earning your Bachelor's degree, you can focus on graduate programs that focus on Marriage and Family Counseling.